Senior Lecturer, Learning Futures
Job title: Senior Lecturer, Learning Futures
Job reference: REQ001736
Date posted: 16/08/2022
Application closing date: 08/09/2022
Salary: AC4: £53,353 to £61,823 per annum
Contractual hours: 35
Basis: Full time
Job category/type: Academic and Research
Senior Lecturer, Learning Futures
Learning Transformation has a vacancy for a Senior Lecturer (Learning Futures). The successful post-holder will be primarily responsible for leading the implementation of key education change projects across UWS, specifically in the areas of curriculum design, flexible and hybrid learning and teaching, and academic development.
Learning Transformation is a dedicated team comprising academics, learning designers and digital learning technologists, sitting within the Office of the Vice Principal Learning, Teaching and Students. You will join us as we strive to continuously enhance learning, teaching and curriculum at UWS, in turn inspiring our students and wider University community and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The postholder will be responsible for leading a small sub team within Learning Transformation, comprising academic and professional services roles. They will be responsible for leading the team in the implementation of significant learning and teaching innovation and curriculum renewal across UWS aligned with the UWS Curriculum Framework, initially within focused projects of the Student Experience Programme and as outlined in the UWS Learning and Teaching Thematic Plan 2020-25. Additionally, they will support the development delivery and review of academic development provision, routes to professional development and continuing professional development provision for all who teach and support learning at UWS.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- PhD, relevant postgraduate qualification, or equivalent professional experience
- Advance HE Fellowship or Senior Fellowship.
- Track record of learning, teaching and assessment in Higher Education, including a strong awareness of current pedagogical techniques.
- Demonstrable leadership and management of projects in a university setting from conception through to delivery, and ability to develop creative solutions to overcome challenges.
- Ability to interpret and operationalise strategic objectives, leading the delivery of strategic initiatives in learning and teaching development.
- Experience of initiating collaborative working with a broad range of stakeholders (e.g. in a project environment, within a teaching team, or creation of a special interest group/ community of practice).
- Development and delivery of Advance HE accredited professional development taught programmes/courses/activities for academic staff.
- Highly developed organisation and communication skills with the ability to successfully lead and motivate a team of staff.
- Commitment to delivering high quality teaching and supporting an outstanding student experience.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Informal enquiries about the post can be made to Dr Alison Gilmour, Head of Learning Transformation: Alison.Gilmour@uws.ac.uk
Job Description and Person Specification: click here
Closing Date: Thursday 8th September 2022 at 12 noon
Interview Date: w/c Monday 19th September 2022
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.