Teaching Specialist, Academic Support
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Salary: Level B – $110,236 – $130,900 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and strongly encourages people with diverse experiences to apply. This includes First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, Deaf and hard of hearing people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+, and neurodiverse people. If you have any accessibility requirements for the application or interview, please contact us. We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. A position description is available in alternate formats if required, including USB, Large Print and Plain English.
The Faculty actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of people from all backgrounds and is committed to diversity and inclusion practices to achieve our vision.
About the Role
The Arts Teaching Innovation Team in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Melbourne is an established specialist team of teaching and learning practitioners who bring pedagogical expertise and support to undergraduate and graduate teaching within the Faculty and across its five schools. It combines staff in the areas of Work Integrated Learning, Object Based Learning and Curriculum Design and Development. It is an academic unit led by a Head of Program and overseen by the Associate Dean Education and Students.
The Teaching Specialist will contribute to teaching excellence within and across disciplines in the humanities and social sciences including supporting the coordination of subjects, preparation and conduct of lectures and seminars and related assessment, and consultations with students. The appointee will also be expected to contribute to the production of publications relating to teaching pedagogies in the humanities and social sciences.
- Contributing to the design, development, implementation and evaluation of exemplary learning and teaching resources which enhance the engagement experiences of a diverse cohort of students.
- Actively researching and implementing new teaching methods designed to support the learning outcomes for students new to the University of Melbourne’s pedagogical practices including in class contributions, collaborative, project based and blended and online learning methodologies.
- Contributing to the production of publications relating to teaching pedagogies in the humanities and social sciences.
You will be a highly qualified and motivated individual with demonstrated ability for excellence in teaching of at least one or more broad discipline areas in the humanities or social sciences. You have experience in teaching diverse group of students and an understanding of the learning needs of students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. A natural rapport builder, you will have an ability to work as a collaborative team member with the capacity to develop and maintain productive working relationships across all levels of the organisation.
You will also have:
- A PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant area of educational design and/or pedagogy.
- Ability to initiate, develop and make recommendations in relation to learning design in curriculum development, delivery and assessment, with a particular emphasis on active learning pedagogies.
- Capacity to contribute to the production of publications relating to teaching pedagogies in the humanities and social sciences.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Position Description: Level B Teaching Specialist September 2022.docx
Applications close: Tuesday 06 Sep 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time