Associate Lecturer / Lecturer in Programming Fundamentals
Role type: Full time, Fixed-term for 3 years.
Faculty: Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT)
Department/School: Computing and Information Systems
Salary: Classification and salary will be determined based on qualifications and experience
Level A – $77,171 - $104,717 p.a.(pro rata for part time) plus 17% super
Level B – $110,236 - $130,900 p.a.(pro rata for part time) plus 17% super
Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT)
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment that welcomes and values all people. We recognise that diversity is essential in contributing to the success of FEIT. Women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, the LGBTIQ+ community, people living with disability and those from a culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Role
The School of Computing and Information Systems (CIS) in the Faculty of Engineering and IT is seeking a motivated and passionate Lecturer with a focus on teaching python for data analytics.
You will be an aspiring university teacher in computer science or a related area, with a demonstrated record of subject coordination at university-level and cross-disciplinary research outside of your core discipline. You will be expected to collaborate internally with the school and with other faculties across the university.
- Coordinating and conducting lectures and tutorials at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and in programs for continuing and professional education.
- Act as Subject Coordinator with responsibility for the design, development, coordinated delivery and ongoing improvement of assigned subjects and professional and continuing education programs.
- Performing marking and assessment duties and being responsible for the supervision of project marking in subjects as subject coordinator.
You will contribute to the School of CIS teaching and learning programs in the area of programming for data analytics at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and in areas of continuing and professional education in collaboration with MSPACE (https://mspace.unimelb.edu.au/). You will be expected to take on administrative roles commensurate with the position.
As a teaching enthusiast, you will have experience to teach effectively across a broad range of subjects in computing. You will have a comprehensive understanding of best practice approaches and future workforce needs in computing, as well as the capability for collaboration and interaction with industry to derive professional and continuing education.
You will further have:
- A PhD in computer science or closely related discipline
- An established background in leading, designing, developing and managing teaching and learning programs in applied computing
- Demonstrated experience leading course and subject co-ordination and assessment of professional and continuing education.
- Excellent oral and written communication
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages with disabilities and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter outlining your interest and experience. Please note that you are not required to provide responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Description: PD- Teaching Specialist in Programming Fundamentals_final.pdf
Applications close: TUESDAY 06 SEPTEMBER 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time