Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Design Methodology
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term (1x 24 months and 1x 18 months)
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering
Salary: UOM A – $77,171 – $104,717 plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI) recognises that engineered systems of present and future significance increasingly have connections to all three.
We are the oldest engineering school in Australia – initially founded in 1861 – and have evolved into a vibrant community of internationally recognised researchers passionate about addressing major challenges of today and into the future.
About the role:
This is an exciting opportunity for two complimentary Post-Doctoral Research Fellows help build a nationally and globally recognized centre for technically grounded, interdisciplinary design at the University of Melbourne. The research will be grounded in design theory and methodology in mechanical engineering but break traditional disciplinary boundaries. The research is future oriented aiming at designing for a human-centred sustainable world.
We are looking to hire broadly in design theory and methodology research but expect to hire a person with a focus on environmental sustainability and another with a focus on data driven design, including AI, machine learning, natural language processing, or related approaches applied in engineering design methodology. Interest or experience in interdisciplinary work is an advantage. We will hire two complementary profiles and do not expect one person to fulfill all the criteria.
You will have:
- A PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Product Development, Engineering Design or a closely related discipline;
- Skills and experience in design and design science;
- A record of high-quality research as evidenced by, for example publications in top journals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Additionally, it would be desirable (but not necessary) if you also had experience in relation to any of the following:
- Practical design skills demonstrated in a portfolio or patents;
- Strong analysis or hands-on skills as relevant to the research topic;
- Experience in interdisciplinary teamwork;
- Future oriented focus.
For specific responsibilities of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
You will be supported to pursue achievement in all pillars of an academic career:
- Research & Research Training
- Contribution to Teaching and Learning
- Service and Leadership
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- A research proposal no longer than 2 A4 pages, full details of this requirement are located in the position description (please upload in place of a Cover Letter)
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-feit
Position Description: PD Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Engineering Design.docx
Applications close: 07 September 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time