Grade 2: - £19,863 - £20,134 per annum
Apprentice - Full Time
Contracted Hours per Week: 35
Closing Date: 17-Aug-2022, 6:59:00 AM
The Department and role purpose
Our Finance Service:
- Supports the University in delivering its strategic objectives
- Works in partnership with Academic Departments, Colleges and other Professional Services to deliver and monitor the annual financial plan
- Provides regular and timely reporting of the University’s financial position and performance
- Ensures that the University’s Financial Regulations are fit for purpose and that the organisation adheres to them
- Safeguards and optimises assets and controls liabilities
- Processes financial transactions in a timely, accurately and professional manner
- To gain knowledge, understanding and experience across the three financial teams;Financial Planning and Reporting – production of forecasts,
- Financial Accounting and capital management
- Financial Processing – processing of financial transactions, Accounts Payable, AR and cash Management
- Systems and Projects – month end processing and control, maintenance of financial systems.
This is a Finance development role. The successful candidate will, in addition to having an interest in the financial operations of the University, have the ability and potential to develop and understand basic principle and processes within Finance. The post-holder will undertake a two year development programme, leading to a formal qualification and gain experience of a fully functional finance service.
The qualification will form part of a development plan, created in conjunction with the successful candidate, focusing on the requirements of the Grade 3 role, and taking into account their individual needs. This plan will be regularly reviewed and form the basis of the assessment to move to the Grade 3 role. It is anticipated that the development process will take two years to complete, however it may be extended if the University considers it necessary.
Upon successful completion of the development programme and plan, the post-holder would move to the Grade 3 post (Finance Assistant).
If the post-holder is unable to meet the full requirements of the Grade 2 post at the end of the development process, subject to performance, they may be retained in the Grade 2 post.
The post holder will work within the Finance Team.
- Contribute input within a service team to provide a responsive service for stakeholders.
- Contribute input to deliver a stakeholder-focused service.
- Respond to straightforward requests for information from stakeholders.
- Contribute to team effort with more straightforward tasks during peak work flows.
- Follow documented service procedures, referring to more experienced colleagues with less straightforward issues.
- Demonstrate some pre-employment familiarity with the techniques, and processes used in the service area.
- Learn new skills and techniques on the job working alongside more experienced team members.
- Learn about the hazards and risks within own area of work and report incidents in accordance with recognised procedures and protocols.
- Communicate with supervisor, team members, other staff, students and visitors in person or using electronic tools and applications.
- Carry out tasks following strict procedures to log and record routine information and data for use by others.
- Follow guidelines and protocols to determine what to pass on and to whom where necessary.
- Use office-based and/or familiar software, applications and devices to deliver services.
- Assist team members to organise the work space and office-based equipment, tools and resources where necessary.
- Any other reasonable duties.
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online.
Please note that in submitting your application Durham university will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.durham.ac.uk/about-us/governance/information-governance/privacy-notices/privacy-notices/job-applicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to which provide
- A CV
- A covering letter which details your experience, strengths and potential in the requirements set out above
NOTE Any criteria marked with an asterisk* are key requirements for this role, and therefore may receive additional weighting when applications are scored during the shortlisting. Please ensure you give detailed examples of how you meet these criteria.
For further information please contact Carol Bainbridge - firstname.lastname@example.org
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work. We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails
Specific role requirements
The ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent attendance & time keeping.*
- Excellent communication skills, willing to speak to others, in person or by email & phone.*
- Microsoft Office: word, excel, outlook*
- Demonstrate great attention to detail
- Understand the principle of working towards deadlines
- Be able and happy to work as part of a team.
- Have a can-do attitude and passion
- Be driven and ambitious
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced office environment
- Have the willingness to undertake an AAT qualification (or equivalent)*
- Be able to balance working and completing assigned college work*
- 5 GCSEs at grades C/5 or above (or equivalent) including maths.
Recruiting for this post
In order to be considered for interview, candidates must evidence each of the essential criteria required for the role in the person specification above.
In some cases, the recruiting panel may also consider the desirable criteria, so we recommend you evidence all criteria in your application.
Please note that some criteria will only be considered at interview stage.
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable.