Head of Data Analysis and Insight
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £39,739 to £50,296 Per annum
Full Time Permanent
Closing Date: Friday 19 August 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
The University of Southampton’s mission is to change the world for the better. As a world leading research-intensive university, with a strong and high-quality educational offering, we are renowned for innovation and enterprise and are ranked in the Top 100 universities worldwide.
We are looking for a dynamic Head of Data Analysis and Insight (DAI) to lead a team of 6 analysts. Our DAI team sits within Finance, Planning and Analysis, and is dedicated to supporting the university with data led insight and recommendations. Working on a wide range of topics that will require strong research, problem solving and analytical capabilities, you will bring together and interpret complex data, resulting in high-quality insight that informs decision making.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Deliver high quality reporting, analysis and insight to stakeholders across the university to support key processes such as student recruitment and enrolment and identify opportunities for performance improvement.
- Establish and build upon relationships across Professional Services and with key contacts in our academic community to maximise the value of your team’s data, capabilities and analytical toolsets and respond accurately and quickly to requests and priorities.
- Investigate and implement innovative ways of increasing the University access to data and information to support better decision making.
- Support your team to be experts at data storytelling and visualisation, to enable more users across the business and partners to engage with insight.
This role will allow you to shape the work of a team of skilled analysts with an excellent reputation in the university.
We are looking for:
- An experienced analysis and insights professional who is passionate about data, keen to learn and grow, and with a desire to deliver a great service to our colleagues at the University.
- Experience of working with large datasets to produce insights is a must - this means that you will need to have great experience and a solid track record of using analytical tools such as PowerBI and Alteryx or similar, and advanced Excel skills.
- Someone with good people skills who can lead and inspire their team and be confident with managing relationships with senior stakeholders.
- You will need to be able to influence others, use judgement and have excellent written and verbal communication skills to be able to share ideas, proposals and issues to a range of senior colleagues.
- Having a Higher Education background and previous experience of using student data is highly beneficial although not essential. However, having an interest in this sector and a desire to learn about it is essential.
What it’s like to work here
We are dedicated to creating an environment where everyone can thrive and fostering a culture of inclusion, respect and equality of opportunity. We believe that we can only truly meet our objectives if we are reflective of society, so we are passionate about creating a working environment in which you are free to bring your whole self to work. We welcome applications from candidates who are committed to helping us create an inclusive work environment. We encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, people who identify as LGBTQ+; and people with disabilities. Committed to supporting our staff and students, we are open to a flexible working approach. We give full consideration to applicants that wish to work flexibly and those who have taken a career break. We have adopted a hybrid working model across the university combining working from home with regular time on campus.
As well as additional benefits that will make your life easier, such as a generous holiday allowance of 30 days plus bank holidays and six additional university closure days. We will support your long-term future too, with access to a pension scheme, subsidised health and fitness facilities, and a range of discounts.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Michelle Jose (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 2750, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference 1870722RR on all correspondence.