Professor in Climate, Environment and Sustainability and University Research Centre Director
Who are we looking for?
The Faculty of Science at QUT has an exciting position for a Capacity Building Professor in Climate, Environment and Sustainability and a University Research Centre Director.
The role involves world class research leadership in your specific discipline as well as a vital integrative role across the University’s climate, environment and sustainability research strengths.
As a Capacity Building Professor you will provide strategic leadership in research and engagement and contribute to our learning programs. You will have formal scientific training and an established track record of world-leading research in one or more priority areas aligned with the Research Centre.
As a University Research Centre Director you will leverage current University research strengths in environmental and earth science, ecology, climate and atmospheric sciences, waste recycling and clean energy technologies and processes to build and lead a new University Research Centre. The Research Centre will focus on solutions to tackle the global challenges of climate and habitat change, biodiversity loss, water and air pollution, waste recycling, and clean energy generation.
Real World Impact
QUT is a major Australian university with a global outlook and a 'real world' focus. We are an ambitious and collaborative institution that seeks to equip our students and graduates with the skills they will need in an increasingly disrupted and challenging world.
The School of Biology and Environmental Science seeks to understand how microorganisms, fungi, plants, and animals – grow, sense, adapt, interact, and evolve. It studies how genes, species and ecosystems function and can be managed, conserved, and restored; and where appropriate apply this knowledge to biotechnological solutions.
The School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences has a multidisciplinary profile and is using diverse expertise to investigate how Earth’s environment evolved through time by studying the structure and evolution of solid Earth, oceans and the atmosphere by using physics, chemistry, mathematics, geology and geospatial science.
QUT is looking to establish a new University Research Centre focused on the QUT priority of Sustainability and Environment. The Research Centre will conduct research and produce high-impact outcomes relating to anthropogenic climate and habitat change, biodiversity loss, water and air pollution, waste recycling, and clean energy systems to ensure planetary health and sustainable coexistence with natural environments
What you need to succeed
You will lead, promote and foster an inclusive high performance and high impact research culture that achieves excellent Research Centre outcomes that are internationally significant or nationally leading. You will conduct research at an internationally competitive level, prodvide advice and support to academic staff, contribute to the development of new educational content as well as facilitate excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
You will have:
- Extensive / outstanding record of research and achievements at a national and international level through academic institutions or industry. Completion of a doctoral qualification in a relevant discipline area or equivalent accreditation.
- Sophisticated communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to generate trust, lead and facilitate change.
- Demonstrated leadership that drives high performance and collaboration around mutually understood strategic objectives which are aligned to the outcomes of the University and strategic partners.
- Proven experience in the development of strategic plans, along with experience in overseeing the development and on-going active management of large budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to interact on a cooperative basis with relevant organisations and individuals, and negotiate effectively with senior managers, researchers, and industry and public groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of the principles of diversity and inclusivity and health and safety, including evidence of the ability to improve gender balance in staff and to increase the number of Indigenous Australian researchers.
- Demonstrated excellence in innovative teaching and research approaches which enhance learning and academic outcomes for students.
Careers at QUT
Our culture is vibrant, inspiring and challenging. It's a world where like-minds come together with a commitment to making a real world difference, no matter what the area of expertise.
Beyond personal and professional fulfilment, a career at QUT brings a broad range of tangible benefits. QUT is a high quality and flexible organisation that is proud of its excellent employment conditions, which include but are not limited to:
- Parental leave provisions
- Study support encompassing leave and financial assistance
- Comprehensive professional development
- Salary Packaging
Explore Life at QUT
At QUT, our values reflect what we believe in and what is important to us as an organisation. They capture our strengths, our distinctiveness, and sit alongside the priorities outlined in our Blueprint 6 and guide our decisions and actions.
We aim to inspire and shape the future with talented students and staff from diverse communities, united by our core values of Ambition, Curiosity, Integrity, Inclusiveness, and Innovation.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply, please contact Dr Rohan Carr or Ms Emily Witts at The Insight Group by phone +61 3 9654 3288 or email email@example.com
Your application should include:
- A cover letter articulating your vision for the role.
- A written response (maximum of two pages) addressing the selection criteria to outline your interest and suitability for the role.
- A comprehensive CV.
Reference Number: 22851
Term: Ongoing, full-time basis
Remuneration: Academic Level E - AUD$227,693 pa inclusive of annual salary of AUD$192,404 pa, 17% superannuation and leave loading.
Location: Gardens Point Campus
Applications Close: 19 September 2022, 12:00 pm AEST
More searches like this
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Senior Management & Heads of Department jobs in Brisbane
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Directors jobs in Brisbane
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Brisbane
- Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Professors / Chairs jobs in Brisbane