Research Fellow, Fashion and Textiles
Fashion & Textiles
Location: Winchester School of Art
Salary: £32,348 to £39,745
Full Time Fixed Term
Closing Date: Monday 05 September 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Research Fellow to join a multidisciplinary team to develop a wearable healthcare device for knee joint pain management. The project is funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC), involves collaboration across four faculties at the University of Southampton and if for two years.
You will work on a project that aims to develop an electrotherapy product with embedded pain relief and movement monitoring functions for the management of knee joint pain. You will work closely with other researchers within the project team (e.g. physiotherapist, textile designer, e-textile engineer, user interface designer) and industrial collaborators. The main responsibilities include:
- Development of Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) sensor electronics and a kinematic model for knee joint movement measurement.
- Development of electronics and firmware for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), and electrical muscle stimulation (EMS).
- Development of a wireless control system and supporting User Interface (UI) development.
- Conducting regulatory compliance tests in house and liaising with subcontractors for external tests to demonstrate compliance with the safety requirement standards.
- Contributing to the ISO 13485 Quality Management System and Technical Documentation development required for medical device regulatory approval.
- Optimising the system to address end user and regulatory requirements
- Preparation of reports and publications
You will ideally have expertise in electronic device circuit development and preferably have a track record in developing electronics and IMU sensor circuits. Candidates with industrial experience are strongly encouraged to apply. This is an opportunity to join an expanding and fast moving area of research at the University of Southampton. You will have opportunities to develop and consolidate your skills through collaborating with project partners from the industrial and healthcare sectors.
For informal enquires about this post, please contact Dr Kai Yang: email@example.com
As a university we aim to create an environment where everyone can thrive and are proactive in fostering a culture of inclusion, respect and equality of opportunity. We believe that we can only truly meet our objectives if we are reflective of society, so we are passionate about creating a working environment in which you are free to bring your whole self to work. We welcome candidates from any and all backgrounds, who are committed to helping us create an inclusive work environment. We encourage applications from candidates from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, from the Global South, from people who identify as LGBTQ+, from people with disabilities, and from first generation higher education attendees.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date sated above. If you need any assistance, please call Hannah Nash (Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 2750 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote reference 1930622FH on all correspondence.