Food Science Researcher
- APS Level 4/5-6 (S&T Level 3-4)
- $69,811 - $95,873 (plus Super)
- Scottsdale - TAS
Do you seek a tree change or an opportunity to earn a big city salary and live the country life? Our ideal candidate will be suited to working on a relatively small Defence site located in Scottsdale, Tasmania. A small rural community - where the air is cleaner, the grass is greener, the food is fresher and nature abounds with serenity and adventure. We will cover all reasonable relocation costs.
We provide opportunities for a long standing career where you can be supported to grow your expertise through on-going formal and informal learning and development activities.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and resourceful food scientist to join our niche team of food scientists, in partnering with academia, Government and industry, to conduct world-class collaborative research and development on shelf-stable foods. You will find creative solutions for complex technical problems across a range of food science and technology fields—investigating, interpreting and transforming knowledge and technology into Defence capabilities. You will have the opportunity to understand challenges, analyse problems and deliver food and feeding solutions with immediate and enduring positive impact to Defence; as well as opportunity for further training and career development.
In this your role as a Food Science Researcher you will:
- Contribute to the generation and application of new knowledge on food processing technologies, including microwave assisted thermal sterilisation, for industry application in future Defence-specific shelf-stable feeding solutions;
- Maintain professional scientific standards and currency in food science capabilities, including food safety, nutrient stability and fortification, advances in food ingredients, processing and packaging technologies, where the focus is on extending the life of shelf-stable foods;
- Understand, select and conduct specialised analytical testing on food and packaging solutions in order to demonstrate and validate their ability to provide optimal solutions to identified problems;
- Participate in collaborative research with local, national and international academia, industry, Government and military partners;
- Communicate research activities and findings to the broader stakeholder and scientific community groups through briefings, formal reports, journal publications and conference presentations.
At times, the role may require significant ‘hands-on’ effort at the laboratory bench and in the food research pilot plant, including preparation, experiment execution and clean-up activities. At times, the role may involve significant desk-based effort to review the literature, analyse data and write reports, and to perform other computer-based tasks. The role also includes experimentation and data collection in military environments, for example during field training exercises.
About The Food & Nutrition (F&N) Team
Our team consists of a diverse team of Defence scientists who come together to provide impartial food and nutrition-related advice and innovative solutions to the Australian Defence Force (ADF). Our mission is to ensure that the nutritional status of ADF personnel is optimal for the achievement of their military tasks across a range of challenging training and operational environments. Our work involves a broad range of F&N science activities, including food processing, food safety systems, new product development, specification writing, food chemistry, microbiology, packaging, supply chain/logistics, sensory and consumer science, nutrition and dietetics.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will be an optimistic, proactive and highly motivated person who is comfortable working within an agile environment with continually evolving requirements. You will have relevant technical knowledge and/or experience in one or more food science capabilities, which may include food formulation, processing (e.g. retorting) and packaging, food safety, shelf life extension (of shelf-stable foods), nutrient stabilisation and fortification, test and evaluation of food safety and quality, and sensory and consumer science.
You will be able to work productively both as an individual and as a team member. You will be confident in investigating and addressing issues impacting achievement of outcomes. You value strong trust-based relationships and stakeholder engagement and are willing to share and receive learnings and support of/to others. You will be a proven communicator at a technical and non-technical level. To be successful you will require academic qualifications in one or more relevant areas of food science and/or equivalent demonstrated research skills and work experience appropriate to the duties of this position.
Application Closing Date: Thursday 18 August, 2022
For further information please review the job information pack, reference DSTG/03985/22 on https://defencecareers.nga.net.au/?jati=AE17B89F-7958-AA00-216C-C8BB62DAD497