PhD Candidate in Business Value of Artificial Intelligence
About the position
We offer a 4 year PhD position with teaching duties in Information Systems at the Information Systems and Software Engineering (ISSE) group of the Department of Computer Science, NTNU. For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The focus of this position is on exploring the business value that Artificial Intelligence (AI) can deliver to organizations and the mechanisms through which this is achieved. While there has been widespread enthusiasm regarding AI, adopting and strategically utilizing these technologies constitutes a major challenge for many organizations. Furthermore, there is limited understanding about how the use of technologies such as AI can drive business strategies and generate sustained value. While most research to date has investigated technical aspects related to AI, there is a growing need to understand how business strategies can be developed to harness the strengths of these novel technologies.
The ideal candidate will be able to approach this topic from an Information Systems perspective and examine the broader socio-technical implications that AI introduces to the workplace, as well as the mechanisms through value creation is achieved. To do so, a combination of both quantitative and qualitative research methods will be employed through appropriate theoretical lenses of information systems and strategic management research. The aim of this project is to understand how organizations should adopt, deploy and routinize AI technologies, and to uncover the value generating mechanisms and their links with organizational strategy. We are looking for candidates with a strong research perspective that can publish their work in leading academic journals and conference proceedings.
Your immediate leader is the Head of ISSE group.
Duties of the position
The goal of this project is to explore the business value that AI can create, and how digital business strategies can be formulated around the potential of AI. This work will build on an interdisciplinary approach, bridging the domains of information systems, technology management, and strategic management. The successful candidate is expected to have a strong background in Management/Business Information Systems, be knowledgeable about research methods, and be competent in quantitative research techniques. The suitable candidate should also have experience with reading and reflecting on research papers in the domain of information systems. We are seeking a highly motivated individual that wants to excel in a research environment and has strong academic ambitions. The PhD candidate will therefore contribute to generating knowledge regarding the use and deployment of AI in organizational settings. Part of the main duties and responsibilities include conducting the following:
- Perform literature reviews and be able to synthesize knowledge
- Conduct interviews and focus groups with industry executives
- Collect, analyze and interpret quantitative data with the use of statistical analysis software
- Communicate and disseminate results to academic and non-academic stakeholders
Required selection criteria
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level.
- You must have a master’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems, Business Informatics, Technology Management or equivalent with very good results is required, or an education at the equivalent level (equivalent to 120 ECTS).
- You must satisfy the requirements for admission to the PhD education at NTNU (c.f. https://www.ntnu.edu/phd and https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phcos).
- In particular, admission to the PhD education at NTNU requires an average grade of at least B, within a scale of A-E for passing grades (A best) in terms of NTNU’s grading scale, for the last two years of the master’s degree. Candidates near completion of their Master’s degree are encouraged to apply.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program .
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- The applicant should have a strong background in management/business information systems
- The applicant’s master thesis must be research-oriented
- Publication activities in relevant disciplines will be considered an advantage
- A strong background in research methods and particularly knowledge on quantitative techniques and statistical analysis is required
- Experience with management and information systems theories/literature will be considered a plus
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Non-Norwegian-speaking applicants must provide evidence of good English language skills. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B.
The applicant should:
- enjoy working in a team-based environment, but also be able to conduct independent activities and thinking
- have a problem-solving attitude
- have an inquisitive nature and enjoy cross-disciplinary challenges
- be highly motivated to publish in top academic conferences and journals in the information systems domain
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years with teaching assistance/duties.
Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Information Technology.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Computer Science within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas.
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal.
- Research plan.
- Name and address of three referees.
- If you have publications or other relevant research work.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Patrick Mikalef, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR at the Department, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 06.09.22
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 6th September 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gløshaugen