Role type: Full time/Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology
Salary: Level A – $77,171 - $104,717 (pro rata) p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology
The Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology has critical mass, interdisciplinary teaching and a remarkable breadth and depth in research expertise that underpin our key themes of molecular understanding of biology and disease, translational research, drug discovery and development
About the Role
An experienced research assistant and lab manager is sought to join the Department of Biochemistry & Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences in The University of Melbourne. The successful applicant will report to the laboratory head, Dr. David Stroud. The Functional Proteomics & Diagnostics laboratory studies monogenic rare disease biology, with a focus on mitochondrial disease pathology and the development of functional genomics and diagnostic approaches utilising mass-spectrometry based proteomics.
- Contribute to the day-to-day organisation of the laboratory including ordering reagents, maintenance of equipment, maintain stocks of reagents
- Assist with administrative duties such as maintaining laboratory databases, records of training, SOPs and inventories.
- Under direction, plan and carry out experiments focused on completion of research project aims.
- Maintaining accurate and detailed records of all experiments conducted.
You are a confident communicator with an ability to work effectively with other laboratory personnel. You are highly organised with excellent time management skills, and can simultaneously work on multiple tasks independently and be flexible and responsive to changing priorities.
You will also have:
- BSc (Hons) or relevant equivalent qualifications/experience.
- Excellent ability to use initiative, good problem solving, judgement and organisational skills.
- Experience in molecular, protein and cell biology experimental techniques and mammalian cell culture.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victorian Health Minister. All University of Melbourne employees are to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. Applicants must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
Applications close: 22 Aug 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time