Senior Financial Accountant
About the job
The World University Insights Ltd, publisher of Times Higher Education (THE), is the data provider underpinning university excellence in every continent across the world. As the company behind the world’s most influential university ranking, and with almost five decades of experience as a source of analysis and insight on higher education, we have unparalleled expertise on the trends underpinning university performance globally. Our data and benchmarking tools are used by many of the world’s most prestigious universities to help them achieve their strategic goals.
For more information on Times Higher Education please visit https://www.timeshighereducation.com
Basic Scope and Primary Objectives
This role is key to the development of our Finance function. Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Senior Financial Accountant is crucial in delivering both internal and external reporting requirements.
This is an exciting opportunity to grow a well-established brand, working in a dynamic and well-funded digital education business.
- Production of annual statutory accounts at both the Group and subsidiary level, including the preparation of various supporting schedules. Accounting under UK GAAP / FRS 102 and US GAAP.
- Lead the Group’s annual audit, including the interim audit, and be the main point of contact with the audit team.
- Work closely with the Group’s tax advisors to produce the annual corporation tax returns, including any supporting schedules.
- Production of supporting documentation for future R&D claims, in conjunction with the Group’s tax advisors.
- Manage the overseas audits and tax returns (Australia, US & Singapore).
- Maintain the Group’s accounting policies, including assessing any changes in FRS 102 and US GAAP which may affect the Group’s reporting.
- Ensuring the Group’s capex policy is adhered to, including review of new projects.
- Working closely with various internal stakeholders to determine the revenue recognition policy for new products being launched, ensuring that they adhere to accounting standards and are setup correctly in all systems.
- Responsible for the monthly internal reporting, including profit & loss account, balance sheet, cash flow and KPIs.
- Production of the monthly bank covenants reporting.
- Weekly cashflow reporting and forecast balance sheet and cash flow modelling.
- Review of monthly balance sheet reconciliations, ensuring that reconciling items are clearing on a timely basis.
- Responsibility for compiling the annual PSA return and submitting to HMRC.
- Involvement in any future acquisitions, including assessing accounting policies and making changes where required to align to Group policies. Previous experience with business combination accounting would be advantageous.
- Assist Financial Controller to ensure financial processes, systems and controls are operating effectively.
- Working closely with both the Financial Planning and Finance Business Partnering teams.
- Ad-hoc reporting and analysis to support the Financial Controller as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Qualified accountant (ACA or equivalent).
- Practice background or 2+ years post qualified and strong technical experience.
- Experience in the preparation of year end statutory accounts and tax compliance.
- Excellent knowledge of UK GAAP / FRS 102. In addition, US GAAP would be advantageous.
- Proven experience of developing solid relationships with key stakeholders and being able to influence decision making, including challenging stakeholders where necessary.
- Be a clear and confident communicator, both written and verbal.
- Process driven with meticulous attention to detail.
- Working to deadlines in a fast-moving environment.
- Be able to hit the ground running with minimal assistance.
- Experience in a SaaS or recurring revenue business would be highly advantageous.
- NetSuite (advantageous)
- Excel (intermediate)
THE are proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We recognise that we are all different. Great strength is born through different perspectives and experiences. That is why we are committed to our mission of creating an inclusive culture that enables our people to feel able to bring their whole selves to work. We are proud to be part of the Global Equality Collective and a mindful employer to help support THE achieve this.
Apply for Senior Financial Accountant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly