Research Associate, Satellite Technology and Research Centre
The Satellite Technology and Research Centre (STAR) focuses on building miniaturized satellites that could fly in multiples for formation and constellation flying. It is envisioned that this will open up new potential applications such as collaborative sensing for the environment, more timely and scalable communication services. Satellite missions of these applications will in general require advanced technologies such as active propulsion control of the satellites, highly precise inter-satellite navigation, advanced attitude control etc.
Presently, STAR is developing satellites in the range of 20-50kg for multiple satellite missions using STAR’s own-patented configuration for small satellites. We are looking for passionate mechanical engineers to join our development teams to bring innovative ideas and solutions to our satellite programs.
About the Job:
- Pioneer development of mechanical design for spacecraft from research through to production.
- Innovate and explore potential upcoming technologies for satellite applications.
- Design for manufacturing, assembly and testing (DFX).
- Solve problems across multidisciplinary teams to ensure smooth integration of satellite subsystems.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering from a reputable university.
- 2 to 5 years of experience in conducting structural or thermal analysis using finite element method.
- High level of proficiency structural dynamics (modal analysis, resonance, damping, and random vibration).
- A strong understanding of thermal management, heat transfer and computational techniques.
- Experience in dynamics analysis using Femap, Nastran or similar finite element analysis software.
- Experience in thermal evaluation tools such as Simcenter 3D Space Systems Thermal, Thermal Desktop, ESATAN or other similar software.
- Experience in CAD (SOLIDWORKS, Inventor, NX) and 2D drawings including GD&T and tolerance stack.
- Advanced knowledge in both structural and thermal design for space systems will be a plus.
- Team-oriented individual with good inter-personal skills.
- Fluent verbal and written communications.
- Open to fixed term contract.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department : Electrical and Computer Engineering
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID : 16206