Research Assistant, Education and Community Engagement
The Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI) at the National University of Singapore is looking for a Research Assistant to join our multidisciplinary team. Ideal candidates should have experience in oceanography, environmental sensing, or marine biology and ecology research in Southeast Asia. Candidates with a keen interest in education, outreach and assisting in project management are encouraged to apply. You will be working closely with a team of researchers and will be engaging different stakeholders, including commercial partners and members of the public. Your ability to work and communicate effectively across multiple domains will be essential for this project.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Review data and information, content development for training workshops, outreach materials etc.
- Organise workshops and conduct outreach
- Assist with a variety of administrative duties including preparation of documents
- Interface with the various project teams to collate and present information
- Gather key stakeholder feedback
- Assist with the writing of scientific publications
- Assist in creating and compiling various scientific data and document records
- Assist in aquarium-related tasks at the St. John's Island National Marine Laboratory (SJINML), and handling and processing of marine & seawater samples
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (preferably with environmental science, marine science or ecology background)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with positive work attitude
- Possess a strong sense of initiative and proactiveness
- Responsive and adaptive to changes
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Efficient at conducting online searches and familiar with scientific terms
- Must be able to multitask, and be organised and meticulous under tight timelines
- Proficient with MS Word, MS Excel, Photoshop or image-editing software
- Prior experience with events organising and/or education/outreach experience would be an advantage
- Prior experience with working in Singapore's marine environment, including knowledge of marine sensing technologies is preferable
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.