Instructor, Student Success Unit
University College’s Student Success Unit (SSU) is seeking a well-qualified and experienced writing specialist to join the SSU Writing Center team. Writing center instructors provide expert tuition and support in English-medium reading and writing skills development for students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, from a wide range of academic disciplines.
The main duties of this position comprise but are not limited to provision of one-to-one and small group tutorials on English-medium academic reading and writing skills; design and delivery of writing and reading skills workshops targeting students in various undergraduate and postgraduate programs; development of self-access learning materials, including multimedia resources, to meet the writing and reading needs and interests of UAEU students.
- A master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a closely related field. Please note that all teachers working in the UAE must receive equivalency certification from the Ministry of Education for their qualifications.
- A bachelor’s degree
- At least three years’ experience teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) in a higher education institution.
- In addition to a master’s degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics, or related field, an additional teaching qualification, such as a DELTA, Trinity Dip TESOL, or PGCE in a relevant field, is desirable.
- Experience in and commitment to student-centered instructional approaches.
- Confidence and expertise in advising writers across academic disciplines and at different academic levels.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with students and colleagues from a range of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- Proactive in identifying students’ learning needs and making constructive suggestions for program development.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet program goals.
- Willing to engage in professional development and self-directed training to meet program goals.
- Proficiency in MS Office and experience in using online learning platforms, such as Blackboard.
- Instructional experience of professional communication/writing for the workplace, multimodal composition, and/or creative writing.
Division University College
Department Student Success Unit - UC
Job Close Date open until filled
Job Category Academic - Faculty