Postdoctoral Fellow Position in Energy Systems Modelling
About the position
There is a temporary position available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) as Postdoctoral Fellow for a period of 3 years. The position is resident at NTNU’s campus in Trondheim, Norway. The position is connected to the Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research group at the Department of Industrial Economics, and Technology Management and the Faculty of Economics and Management will be your employer.
For more information about the department, see www.ntnu.no/iot.
The position is part of the European Forum for Energy and Climate Transition (EFECT) recently created by NTNU and key European research institutes. The candidate will have the opportunity to work on European Union projects in the design of energy systems. There will also be flexibility and time for the candidate to work on own individual research initiatives and ideas.
The EFECT Forum brings together interdisciplinary European experts in energy and climate modelling addressing questions concerning energy and climate transition.
The core activities in EFECT include defining modelling missions and research challenges, discussing results at bi-annual workshops, organize calls for contributions and publishing. The objective of EFECT is to analyze (national and European level) energy transition strategies for climate neutrality based on a diversified set of modelling approaches.
The postdoctoral fellow is also expected to work half of the time on H2020 projects funded by the European Commission. These projects focus on the integration of renewable energy sources (wind and solar power), from distribution grids and neighborhoods up to national or European level analyses on decarbonization strategies.
The post doc will be in the section of Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research and focus on economic modelling and optimization related to energy-climate transitions. The position is part of the NTNU Energy Transition Initiative (https://www.ntnu.edu/energytransition).
Duties of the position
- This position will jointly develop activities and research challenges (modelling missions) in the European Forum
- Develop and engage into research activities in EU projects
- The position also allows for the postdoctoral fellow to carry on own research activities and ideas,
- Contribute to energy transition analysis and modelling activities in the group
The methodologies used are based on competence from optimization, economics and business economics as well as energy systems modelling.
- Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in operations research, energy economics, power systems or a closely related field, or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required. Candidates in the final stages of their PhD may also apply.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- Project management or project development experience
- Medium experience with optimization and energy systems modelling
- Documented experience of working with international partners in Europe (or similar international collaboration or stays abroad)
- Applicants must have published their research in recognized international journals within the field
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and administrative staff
- Climate modelling experience would be considered an important advantage
We are looking for a highly motivated, quality oriented, conscientious, creative and independent scientist. S/he should enjoy interdisciplinary research and be a team player. A self-driven, structured and proactive attitude will be central for this position.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
- Attractive Norwegian social welfare scheme including family benefits, home loans, Insurance and pensions in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Information about Working and living in Norway can be found at the following link: http://www.nyinorge.no/en/Ny-i-Norge-velg-sprak/New-in-Norway/
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, presently at gross NOK 563.500,- before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Any statutory leave will be added to the employment period.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
Applications must include:
- Motivation letter (clearly stating how the candidate meets the qualification requirements)
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, together with authorized documentation of certificates and study records.
- Academic work (not master thesis). Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what she/he contributed to the work.
- A complete publication list.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Dr. Pedro Crespo del Granado, +47 458 49 710 / firstname.lastname@example.org, Professor Anne Neumann, + 47 7341 2218 / email@example.com or Professor Asgeir Tomasgard, firstname.lastname@example.org /+47 930 58 771.
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Hilde Selli Egelie, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 19.08.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management
We conduct research and teaching at an international level in the interface between technology/natural sciences and economics, management, and HSE (health, safety and the environment). Our goal is sustainable creation of value within technology-based areas in industry, business and the public sector in Norway. We have academic groups in Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management is one of four departments in the Faculty of Economics and Management.
Deadline 19th August 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service