Research Assistant, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
The National University of Singapore invites applications for Research Assistant in Biostatistics and Bioinformatics in the Department of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
Purpose of the post
We are looking for a research staff for a Ministry of Education project “Probability models to infer cell type contribution and site of origin for tissue-level expression changes”. We are looking for a bioinformatician fluent in processing next generation sequencing-based transcriptomics data to develop a computational method to identify major contributors of cell types in differential expression events detected from bulk sequencing analysis of tissue samples.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties are:
- Process raw sequencing data for bulk and single-cell transcriptomics analysis using standard bioinformatics pipelines
- Gather publicly available data sets of relevant tissues and curate consistent differential expression events for tissues of interest (heart, liver, and kidney).
- Develop software modules to compute probability scores that individual cell types are real contributors to tissue-wide expression changes for each gene.
We expect an ideal candidate to:
- Be fluent with NGS-based bioinformatics workflows
- Be familiar with single cell analysis
- Be proficient in low-level computer languages and linux/unix servers
- Have excellent communication skills and demonstrate records of good scientific writing
The applicant should:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in bioinformatics or any related computer science-related disciplines;
- Be able to work independently and have strong passion in developing novel analysis methods; and
- Excellent communication skills and proven record in scientific writing
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences are required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 12315