Research Fellow, Blue Carbon
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Blue Carbon science
In the Department of Geography & Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions, National University of Singapore
INVITATION TO APPLY
The Department of Geography & Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions at the National University of Singapore invite applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Blue Carbon. Prior research experience on seagrass blue carbon is an advantage. The position is expected to begin in March 2022 or soon thereafter. The position will be for a period of up to 4 years, subject to performance review.
- Coordinate a team of researchers conducting blue carbon field measurements throughout Southeast Asia
- Collect field data on blue carbon stocks and gaseous fluxes, with a particular focus on mangrove and seagrass ecosystems.
- Coordinate with the larger project team of researchers undertaking laboratory experiments and remote sensing of blue carbon
- Liaise with corporate, governmental and non-governmental partners interested in Blue Carbon
- Mentor graduate students, undergraduate students and research staff working on Blue Carbon and associated ecosystem services
The QS World University rankings regularly place NUS in the top 15 universities in the world and number one in Asia. The NUS Department of Geography is similarly ranked the 5th geography department in the world. See www.themangrovelab.com and www.fas.nus.edu.sg/geog. The mission of the NUS Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions is to produce policy-relevant science on nature-based climate solutions – tackling the challenge of climate change by protecting and better managing natural ecosystems – to address knowledge gaps, build capacity and deliver pragmatic solutions and innovations to inform climate policies, strategies and actions in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region. See www.nus.edu.sg/CNCS.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- The appointment will be tenable for a maximum period of 4 years
- The position comes with very competitive remuneration
- Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits
Interested applicants should submit the following via email to Associate Professor Dan Friess (email@example.com) by 20th December:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae, with complete list of publications
- At least one sample of published work
- A research statement (maximum 2 pages) explaining the candidate’s past research experience; most impactful publications; and aptitude in relation to the job description
- Contact information for 3 referees (one from PhD supervisor)
Interviews (including over Zoom) are expected to begin in early January 2022. For further information contact Associate Professor Dan Friess (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A PhD in environmental sciences, geography, biogeochemistry or similar discipline
- Research experience in blue carbon (mangrove, seagrass, saltmarsh, macroalgae) or associated coastal ecosystems, particularly the measurements of soil carbon stocks and gas fluxes
- Strong quantitative skills in R, Python or similar
- Publication record commensurate with career stage
- Willingness to undertake extensive field work for long periods in countries across Southeast Asia
- Highly organized and proactive
- Ability to work independently
- Research experience in seagrass ecosystems
- Prior use of LI-COR instruments or similar to measure photosynthesis and soil respiration/gas flux
- Experience leading group workshops and papers
- Strong analysis skills in GIS or remote sensing
Location: Block AS2-03-01
Organization: National University of Singapore
Department : Geography
Employee Referral Eligible:
Job requisition ID : 9471
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.