Senior Research Fellow, Medicine
The National University of Singapore invites applications for a Senior Research Fellow position in the Department of Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. Appointments will be on a 1-year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of extension. Fresh PhD holders are welcome.
Purpose of the post
The Senior Research Fellow (SRF) will be responsible to, and work closely with the Principal Investigator and a team of researchers on the goals set out for the project(s) of interest. The SRF’s principal role will be to analyse mammalian microbiome, including from human clinical or other samples, through integration of multi-omics technologies, interpret the data through multivariate statistical analysis and publish the data in high impact journals. The position also requires skills for microbial cultivation, isolation and/or (anaerobic) manipulation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Research Fellow is expected to:
- Design experiments and advise the clinicians on the sampling schemes based on the research questions, power calculation, experimental design options and metadata collection.
- Guide the clinicians on sampling procedure, transport and storage.
- Process the samples, either directly or together with laboratory technicians or with service providers for multi-omics data generation.
- Process and analyse the data using most recent bioinformatics pipelines and statistical methods.
- Train early career clinical researchers, technicians, students in microbiome and metabolome studies. Includes occasional teaching classes/workshop sessions.
- Have knowledge of predictive model development, will be an added advantage.
- Publish results in high impact journals.
The applicant should:
- Have a PhD degree in a relevant field of microbiology, or systems biology.
- Have at least three relevant experience with microbial cultivation, isolation and/or (anaerobic) manipulations of samples.
- Have practical experience relevant to the topic.
- Speak and write fluent English.
- Be capable of independently planning daily work and execute with precision and speed while observing all safety regulations and protocols.
- Have a verifiable track record of productive team work.
- Be passionate about science, easy-going, self-motivated and naturally take ownership of your assignment and proactively propose solutions to any issues that arise.
- Be able to work easily in a multicultural and multilingual environment.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Contact list for further enquiries
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Informal enquiries are welcome and should be made to Liu Lin @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Formal application: Please submit your application, indicating current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV (including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations and full contacts of 3 referees) by 31 May 2022.