Senior Research Fellow, Nursing, Midwifery and Health
Nursing, Midwifery and Health
Location: Highfield Campus
Salary: £40,931 to £46,047 per annum
Full Time Fixed Term for 24 months
Closing Date: Friday 26 August 2022
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Paramedic Delivery of End of Life Care
We are looking for an experienced researcher to join the School of Health Sciences at the University of Southampton to help us evaluate services and care provided by paramedics to people in the last year of life. We will survey paramedics throughout England to understand their professional practice and factors influencing this, and conduct in-depth case studies (collecting information from patients, carers and healthcare professionals) to examine different ways of delivering services and how these shape paramedic decision-making and management of risk.
You will be joining the team at the start of this exciting Marie-Curie funded project (a collaboration between the University of Southampton, University of the West of England and South East Coast Ambulance Service), to lead on data collection, analysis and reporting. We are looking for a Senior Research Fellow to work with the Southampton team (as part of the School’s palliative and end-of-life research theme), under the direction of Chief Investigator Dr Natasha Campling. The post holder will be expected to make a leading contribution to all aspects of the research including communicating with stakeholders, project management, data collection, fieldwork, analysis, and preparation of reports and the writing of peer-reviewed journal publications.
This role is offered on a full-time, fixed-term basis for 2 years (although part-time and flexible working will be considered).
You will have a PhD, or equivalent professional qualifications and experience in health services research/palliative and end of life care/nursing/related health or social science subject and have:
- Experience of researching sensitive areas or conducting research with vulnerable groups, for example, those at the end of life.
- Demonstrable mixed methods research skills such as conducting scoping reviews, large-scale online surveys, case study methods, vignette interview methods and focus groups, qualitative data analysis using Framework Analysis, and quantitative data analysis using descriptive statistics.
- Proven ability to organise a range of high-quality research activities to deadline and quality standards.
- Excellent communication and paper writing skills with a track record of published research. Track record of presenting to academic and non-academic audiences including at national and international conferences.
It would also be beneficial if you had:
- Experience of interviewing patients and carers at end of life.
- Knowledge and understanding of research in the field of palliative and end of life care.
- Experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders and external partners.
- Experience of working with NHS sites, building and maintaining relationships with clinical and research staff.
You will need to work effectively with members of the study team including PPI representatives, healthcare professionals and members of the public to develop, deliver and disseminate the work of the research project.
An enhanced DBS check may be required for this role.
The post holder will benefit from close support from the project team and School of Health Sciences research groups. Situated within one of the UK's leading research Universities, the School of Health Sciences’ research ranks in the top 3 UK Universities in the overall quality of our research, providing a world-leading research environment rated 4* (REF2021).
If you'd like to discuss this opportunity, please contact Dr Natasha Campling by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Informal enquiries prior to application are actively encouraged.
You should submit your completed online application form at https://jobs.soton.ac.uk. The application deadline will be midnight on the closing date stated above. If you need any assistance, please call Hannah Nash (HR Recruitment Team) on +44 (0) 23 8059 4043 or email email@example.com Please quote reference 1921922CF on all correspondence.