Head of Employability Services
Since 1850 St Mary’s has been preparing students for flourishing lives and successful careers within a strong community of trust and respect based on our Catholic ethos and identity. Employability Services brings together the careers service, placement team and Centre for Workplace Learning to prepare our students for life after University, building on the University’s impressive graduate employability outcomes to date. St Mary’s has a partnership with the Careers Group, University of London, which provides professional, embedded Careers Consultants and other membership benefits to the University.
The department provides careers support and guidance, entrepreneurship programmes, internships, accredited work placement modules, programme-specific career development learning and extra-curricular employability initiatives for all students and programmes across the University, with the aim of achieving graduate level employment for our students.
Providing strategic leadership to the Employability department, you will build links with employers, and work with colleagues across the University to ensure employability is embedded throughout the curriculum and that all students are able to develop the insights, understanding, skills and professional development required to pursue graduate level career options and make sound decisions for their futures.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the University’s Employability strategy is up to date and fit for purpose, with an appropriate implementation plan
- Lead the University in its understanding of graduate employability and how it relates to the University’s Mission and Vision
- Plan the allocation of resources to meet anticipated demand from students, academic departments and employers, creating business cases for additional resource as demand grows
- Contribute to relevant institutional committees or working groups to ensure that all curricula, co- and extra-curricular activities contribute to graduate employability
- Work with colleagues to ensure employability is embedded in the work of partner organisations to an appropriate standard and to achieve required outcomes
- Ensure excellent student experience, using feedback and student engagement to drive continuous improvement and innovation
- Oversee the design and development of new modules, encouraging and supporting innovative pedagogy and use of technology, and ensuring compliance with University processes
- Advise academic departments on appropriate placement models and careers interventions, and ensure this is considered at validation and revalidation
- Lead the design, planning and delivering of initiatives and interventions to contribute to enhanced student and graduate employability
- Provide leadership and direction to careers service provision and ensure this maintains the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) Quality Standard.
- Build relationships with employers and local organisations to raise the profile of St Mary’s and create placement, internship and academic opportunities
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with business, professional and public-sector organisations to increase the volume of professional experience opportunities and ensure that St Mary’s graduates are sought after by employers of all sizes
- Develop and maintain effective internal communication ensuring representation of Employability Services at key committees and in relevant University publications
- Build and maintain close links with faculty and programme teams, and professional service departments to achieve a whole institution approach to employability, professional development and work experience
- Represent Employability Services at external events, working groups and professional conferences as appropriate
- Contribute to university marketing and recruitment activity to promote employability as a USP of St Mary’s programmes.
Data Analysis and Research
- Keep abreast of current research and developments in careers and employability
- Provide information and data as required, reporting on graduate employability and league tables internally and externally
- Work with colleagues to develop measures to monitor the performance of Employability Services, including usage of the service, engagement with workplace learning modules and initiatives, graduate destinations, and careers registration data.
- Lead the setting and achievement of agreed standards for work with students and graduates, taking into account benchmarking and standards set by professional bodies
- Evolve the utilization of careers registration data at programme level and within Employability Services to inform service provision and interventions.
- Ensure the Graduate Outcomes Survey is conducted effectively, putting in place a strategy to maximise our results, and providing data analysis and interpretation
- Ensure staff development and team performance through delivery of a clear operational plan and staff objectives
- Ensure effective budget management to ensure adequate resourcing and delivery to budget
- Lead the team to devise innovative approaches to service delivery and implementation of new projects and initiatives to deliver employability outcomes
- Ensure all staff are appropriately qualified and undertake professional development to maintain a good quality service to students and graduates
- Lead annual negotiations with the Careers Group (TCG) to ensure the best contract and services supplied which help to deliver St Mary’s KPIs and provide professional Careers Consultant provision and required services to the University