Faculty Positions in Cell and Gene Therapy
SCHOOL: Academy of Pharmacy
Position: Faculty [Open Rank]
LOCATION: Suzhou, China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
ABOUT ACADEMY OF PHARMACY
The Academy of Pharmacy was established on November 11, 2020, focusing on pharmaceutical sciences and planning to recruit faculty from globally distinguished institutions working in this discipline. The Academy of Pharmacy intends to work closely with the local (Suzhou Industrial Park) private sectors for student/professional training and basic research. It will also build a state-of-the-art Pharmaceutical Analysis Core Lab and Laboratory Animal Research Centre with excellent technical support. Staff also benefit from the fact that Suzhou is building a ‘Chinese Pharma Valley’ for pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences. Cold Spring Harbor Asia (http://www.csh-asia.org/index.html) is located within walking distance and there are over 600 pharma and biotechnology companies in Suzhou Industrial Park. Current Academy of Pharmacy research areas include: novel therapeutic development and strategies, AI-assisted drug development, gene/cell therapy, clinical pharmacy, and new vaccine development. The Academy plans to offer undergraduate, Master’s and PhD degree programmes in Applied Statistics (Biostatistics), Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmaceutics, and Biopharmaceuticals.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- To teach undergraduate and graduate courses
- To conduct active research and mentor graduate students
- To carry out various administrative duties
- To collaborate with local private sectors
- Leadership ability for leading a team to conduct research/teaching
- Effective communication skills; fluent in written and spoken English
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Professionalism and work ethic
- Positive attitude and energy
- Diversity / Sensitivity
- The successful applicant will have a PhD degree in basic medicines or biology, like cellular biology, molecular biology, physiology, pathology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, etc. Experience in clinical studies or disease models are additions. Graduates from Medical Scientists Training Program or like (such as 7yr- or 8yr-programs in Chinese medical schools) with strong training in basic research are also encouraged to apply.
- Candidates for the position of Associate Professor and above should also have a strong track record in teaching and academic supervision, as well as an international collaborative research profile in their fields and a successful record of research funding.
- Candidates with previous industry and/or industry collaboration experience are particularly encouraged to apply.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa from the PRC.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- A three-year research and teaching plan
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email the Executive Dean, Academy of Pharmacy, Professor Mu Wang at email@example.com. Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Executive Dean of Academy of Pharmacy, Prof Mu Wang, at Mu.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn, or Dr. Yiqiang Wang (Yiqiang.Wang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.