Lecturer in Mathematical Biology
- Full time 2.5 year fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in Mathematical Biology
- Base Salary Level B $113,184 p.a. - $134,403 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are one of the largest mathematical sciences schools in Australia, and the University of Sydney is the only Australian university to have received the highest rating of 5 out of 5 for research in the mathematical sciences in every Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia assessment to date. The University also hosts the Sydney Mathematical Research Institute (SMRI), which attracts leading mathematical scientists from all over the world to do research with Australian collaborators.
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Lecturer in Mathematical Biology. The successful applicant will be working under the supervision of Professor Eduardo G. Altmann, Head of School and Professor Peter Kim. The successful applicant will undertake research in mathematical biology with preference given to candidates who can collaborate with Prof. Kim in the mathematical modelling of human evolution and cancer-immune dynamics.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to knowledge within mathematical biology, particularly in mathematical modelling of human evolution and cancer-immune dynamics
- engage in high-quality teaching and learning experiences (at undergraduate, honours and postgraduate levels) which meet the University's expectations and standards for education
- design and deliver quality educational programs and experiences that support student needs and meet curriculum requirements
- influence outstanding teaching and learning outcomes
- contribute to research, education, and administrative activities
- develop an academic profile through conferences, seminars and outreach activities (e.g. school outreach and orientation activities).
- enhance a positive workplace culture and strategic direction of the University.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics of the University of Sydney is one of the largest in Australia. It has more than 89 academic staff who supervise research and teach 74 postgraduate students and 925 equivalent full-time student-load undergraduate students.
To learn more about the School of Mathematics and Statistics click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer who has:
- a PhD or near completion in an academic field relevant to the discipline
- the demonstrated ability to carry out high quality mathematical research in mathematical biology
- a high level of interpersonal skills including the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- good organisational and administrative skills with attention to detail
- a high level of written and verbal communication skills
- an ability to engage productively with biological literature and/or experimental.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all roles required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
Your application should include:
- a cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- 2-4 page research statement
- 2-4 page teaching statement
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 28 August 2022 11:59 PM