Assistant Professor in Global Media Communication
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is a leading research-intensive university (http://www.nus.edu.sg/) that is consistently ranked among the world’s top universities. Established in 2004, the Department of Communications and New Media (CNM) (http://www.fass.nus.edu.sg/cnm/) is a leader in communication and new media research and education. It offers undergraduate, honours and PhD programmes in communications and new media studies, with an innovative curriculum that introduces students to key debates in the areas of media studies, communication management, interactive media design and cultural studies. Its curriculum provides students with practical skills in social media management, user interface design, and digital marketing. Its students undertake industry immersion through its compulsory internship programme.
CNM also offers an undergraduate double degree with the School of Business; undergraduate minors in Interactive Media Development and Cultural Studies, the Cultural Studies in Asia PhD programme, and a new Master of Social Science in Communication programme. It has research concentrations in media and publics, critical theory, cultural studies, communication policy, computation and creativity, health communication. Successful candidates for these positions will join an engaging community of 46 full-time faculty, 13 part-time instructors, and approximately 800 undergraduate and graduate students.
CNM invites applicants with expertise in one or more of the following areas: global media and communication, environmental communication, media industry studies, intercultural communication, science and technology studies, development communication, digital technology and social change, global media governance, media communication in Asia and/or Southeast Asia.
PhD in Communication or closely related discipline, with a specialization in computing by date of appointment; evidence of excellence in teaching.
Successful candidates are expected to teach 110-140 hours per academic year. Other duties include supervision of honours students and graduate students, and administrative service. The anticipated start date is 1 Jan 2023 prior to the beginning of the second semester in January 2023.
Successful talented early career candidates with excellent research track records will be considered for the National University of Singapore Presidential Young Professorship (NUS PYP) scheme which includes a start-up research grant up to SGD 750,000 including scholarships to hire PhD students, and an award of SGD 250,000 for discretionary spending.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to submit a complete application dossier as listed below for full consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
- NUS Personal Data Consent Form for Job Applicants (Download file via link - nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf)
- Detailed CV, including education, professional background, teaching and supervision, research activities and achievements, honours and awards, and service accomplishments to date. List all academic and non-academic positions. Name and contact of your PhD Supervisor. All PhD and postdoctoral supervisors or any other senior authors with close and regular collaborations (full name and institution) should be listed.
- Scanned copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Teaching portfolio and student evaluations
A statement (max. of 3 pages) of teaching philosophy and methodology. Where available, evidence of teaching ability such as student feedback or peer review reports should be provided. Evidence of other contributions to education, e.g. curriculum development, pedagogical innovation, production of teaching material, should be provided were available.
- A statement (max. of 3 pages) of major accomplishments in research, citing up to five significant publications, creative work or other scholarly contribution, and explaining their significance. Sample copies of these contributions should be provided (in the case of books, reviews should be provided).
- A research plan (3-page) with a proposed start-up research budget and utilisation plan.
- A complete list of publications, grouped according to papers, books, and reviews, including page numbers, in bibliographic form.
- Citation (excluding self-citations and in the case of co-authored work, cross-citations) and impact analysis of research output, highlighting papers with the highest citation counts, and creative works with high impact.
- Documents on service contributions. List and elaborate on the impact of service to department/faculty/university, international academic community, and/or national and international agencies. Note that the documents on research (together with the Teaching Statement and documents on service contributions) should be no more than a maximum of 3,000 words.
- Diversity Statement
- A list of FOUR References (including one from the applicant’s PhD or post-doctoral advisor/supervisor). Shortlisted candidates will be notified to submit for the letters of references separately prior to the campus visit.
- A list of preferred modules under the undergraduate, and master by coursework programmes.
COVID Vaccinations Message
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
For tenure-track applications, post-doctoral experience and a proven or strongly emerging track record of high quality research and impactful publications, alongside clear research plans, are highly desirable.
Remuneration is competitive and includes medical, housing, relocation and other benefits. Significant research start-up funding is available if appointed on the tenure track.
Singapore is a modern, English-speaking city state that is connected to the world via global commerce, finance and transport networks with a stable climate year round and a cosmopolitan mix of cultures and languages.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. The review will continue until the job is filled.
For further enquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Arts & Social Sciences
Department: Communications And New Media
Employee Referral Eligible: No