Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Theoretical Chemistry
- Two Full time 2 years fixed term, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Chemistry
- Opportunity to make valuable contributions to research in practical computational chemistry
- Base Salary Level B $113,184 p.a. - $117,425 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are seeking to appoint two Postdoctoral Research Fellows in Theoretical Chemistry to undertake research on the theory and implementation of new quantum chemical methods under the supervision of Professor Peter Gill, relating to both wavefunction and density-based approaches.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- participate in a research programme investigating low-scaling computational chemistry methods
- assist with grant writing and publishing original work
- participate in student supervision at the undergraduate and postgraduate level
- contribute to successful applications for competitive research grants and/ or funding to deliver research impact
- develop a research profile through conferences and seminars
- enhance relationships with international collaborators.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is a leading Chemistry department in the country, with outstanding staff and students undertaking world-leading teaching and research. With more than 30 academic staff, 100 research staff, and 100 research students we conduct research across the full spectrum of pure and applied chemistry. Our research excellence is recognised by numerous prizes and awards to individual staff members and the award of almost $10 million in research funding each year. With the support of over 30 professional, technical and administrative staff, the School of Chemistry administers and delivers undergraduate teaching for more than 3 000 students. We are committed to creating a diverse workplace by improving equity, access and opportunity, and we are continuously working to identify and remove biases and barriers in an effort to make our workplace open, supportive and safe for everyone.
To learn more about the School of Chemistry, click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a
Postdoctoral Research Fellow who has:
- a PhD (or near completion) in quantum chemistry or a cognate discipline
- the ability to supervise students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities
- primary research interests in developing and implementing new theoretical methods
- proven research excellence in this area of computational chemistry
- demonstrated evidence of independent research ability and potential in an area of quantum chemistry
- experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars
- excellent written and oral communications skills, with experience interacting with a variety of researchers and stakeholders.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
For employees of the University or contingent workers, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email email@example.com
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
Sunday 28 August 2022 11:59 PM