Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
Job title: Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - Full time, Permanent
Job reference: 0000314387
Date posted: 18/07/2022
Application closing date: 04/09/2022
Salary: £65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8 – 10)
Package: Excellent Benefits Package
Contractual hours: 35
Basis: Full Time
Edinburgh Napier University is the ‘#1 Modern University in Scotland’. An innovative, learner centric university with a modern and fresh outlook, Edinburgh Napier is ambitious, inclusive in its ethos and applied in its approach.
Edinburgh Napier University’s phenomenal results from the Research Excellence Framework (2021) are testament to our growing strength and capability as a research institution. These results, alongside our consistently positive National Student Survey results and sustained high levels of graduate employability, demonstrate the increasing impact of Edinburgh Napier's collective work, quality and commitment.
REF 2021 assessed 68% of our research as either “world-leading” or “internationally excellent”, up 15% since 2014. Additionally, the University’s research power metric rocketed from 250 to 718, making Edinburgh Napier the top ranking Scottish modern university for both research power and research impact.
The University’s improved power rating will now see our research funding increase as we take significant strides to grow our reputation as a research-focused institution as well as a teaching one. Through continuous investment in staff and our research environment, we are confident that we are well on our way to establishing ourselves as one of the UK’s world-leading universities in research.
The School of Computing, Engineering & the Built Environment has over 200 academics, and around 3,100 campus-based students, and delivers programmes with professional accreditations from the British Computer Society, Institution of Engineering and Technology, The Chartered Institute of Building and other accreditation bodies. We have excellent computing, engineering and construction lab facilities. The School has embarked on a major development in the area of Industry 4.0, bringing together computer science, engineering, mathematics and construction technology. We are one of the UK's largest computer science academic units with key strengths in AI, cyber security and creative and social informatics. We house leading UK research centres in transport policy and sustainable construction. The schools are based in the lively and exciting Merchiston area at the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland's inspiring capital.
The latest UK national research assessment, REF 2021, places our Computer Science research in the top-30 in the whole UK and 3rd best in Scotland (both in power ranking). In terms of research impact 100% of our work achieved the highest rating (4*), a performance achieved only by six other universities in the whole UK. Our research is underpinned by significant amounts of funding from prestigious sources including both EPSRC and Horizon 2020.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced academic with expertise in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning or related fields to the work of the experienced team exploring Search-based optimisation, Evolutionary Robotics, Natural Language Generation, Multi-Modal Healthcare Data Analytics. As a professor you will be expected to contribute to the leadership of the research group as well, especially in terms of driving the research agenda and leading the exploration of new foundational research areas. Areas of desirable expertise include, but are not limited to: machine learning with applications to robotics, machine learning theoretical foundations, machine learning applied to biomedical data and healthcare, search-based optimisation, deep learning systems, adversarial machine learning, generative models in machine learning, natural language processing with machine learning, explainable machine learning, neuromorphic machine learning systems. With 80% time allocation for research, this role will allow you to explore novel and emerging areas of artificial intelligence and machine learning, deliver excellent quality research papers and secure substantial external research funding.
The Professor in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning will contribute to and build programmes and modules to support the expansion of the School’s teaching portfolio which explores the changing nature of IT infrastructure, AI and ML applications to big data, business intelligence, and the impact of technology on business. You will actively contribute to our existing portfolio of computer science based degree programmes.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate enthusiasm for working in a cross-disciplinary manner in fundamental and applied research and in the development of research-informed teaching to enhance employability of our graduates. You will have the opportunity to expand your industry connections through our existing networks.
Further information about Edinburgh Napier University can be found here.
As a professor you will be a member of our Artificial Intelligence research group with:
- A research allowance of 80% of your time to build your research.
- Access to our staff development budget for travel to conferences and to establish collaborations.
- Extensive training and development opportunities through our Human Resources (HR) and Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Support for grant applications and post-award running of grants from professional services colleagues in the schools and the Research, Innovation and Enterprise Office (RIE).
- Opportunities to lead and join PhD student supervisory teams.
- A fully funded PhD position (UK student) that you are expected to fill during your first year of employment at Edinburgh Napier University.
- Opportunities to contribute to the leadership of the research group.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- A doctoral level qualification in the relevant discipline.
- Evidence of a professional academic and research profile alongside a commitment to sustained continuous professional/academic development.
- An international reputation as a leader in the field of research appropriate for the level of the professorial position with a track record of international esteem indicators.
- A sustained track record of internationally excellent quality output in the research area of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- A sustained track record of securing external funding and support for research activity (as Principal Investigator or key contributor) and networking within the relevant research community nationally and internationally appropriate for the level of the professorial position.
- Completion of several PhD students, supervised as main supervisor.
- Evidence of academic leadership appropriate for the level of the professorial position (e.g., mentoring others, engagement in institutional leadership, engagement in cross-institutional and national projects and initiatives).
- Evidence of relevant teaching experience.
Applicants preferably will also demonstrate:
- Sustained track records of internationally excellent output and externally funded research projects in interface areas of computer science, engineering, construction and mathematics that are relevant for Industry 4.0 research.
If you would like to know, more about this exciting opportunity please click here to view the role profile.
Further information about our benefits can be found here.
£65,573 to £106,482 per annum (Grade 8 – 10)
Informal enquiries about the role can be made to Professor Peter Andras (email@example.com) or Professor Ben Paechter (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications for the role must be submitted via the Edinburgh Napier University job applications web site – emailed applications will not be accepted.
Application closing date: 4th September 2022 at 11.59pm
Interview date: Week of 10th October 2022
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations and holds Disability Confident, Career Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here