Lecturer in Microbiology (Education Focused)
- Full time, 4-year fixed term position. Located at the Camperdown campus in the School of Life and Environmental Sciences
- Exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Lecturer in Microbiology (Education Focused) to join the Faculty of Science
- Base salary of $113,184p.a. - $134,403 (Level B) + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Life and Environmental Sciences (SOLES) is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Microbiology (Education Focused) to be based at the Camperdown Campus. This is a wonderful opportunity to join the University of Sydney – Australia’s first university – at an exciting and innovative time with the development of a new strategic plan, which will build upon our outstanding global reputation of education and research excellence. SOLES brings together academics across a broad range of disciplines to understand and solve important global challenges. Key disciplines include ecology, marine biology, microbiology, molecular biology, plant science, soil science animal science and agriculture. This exciting new education-focused role will work closely with the school leadership within the general outlines of University, Faculty and School strategic directions. We are intent on implementing scholarly approaches to create a world-class curriculum that enhances the student experience and graduate careers. The position and encompasses delivery and administrative coordination in discipline-specific teaching microbiology at first and second year and inter-disciplinary teaching where microbiology is an essential aspect of educational delivery in other SOLES disciplines, Medical Science and Pharmacy.
The successful candidate must be creative and committed to educational excellence and enriching collaborations with staff in SOLES. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in the administration, management, development and delivery of large interactive Microbiology classes. This will include experience in PC2 laboratories and associated Work Health and Safety regulations. They will have a track record of use of modern teaching delivery methods in laboratory classes, innovation in teaching microbiology skills and concepts, design of assessments to create a quality student experience and clear potential to become a leader in microbiology teaching.
Overall, the appointee will have demonstrated success in scholarship and evaluating teaching and learning innovations in microbiology. The appointee will be supported and encouraged to collaborate closely with academics within SOLESand across the university and externallyin the delivery of classes and publication of microbiology teaching research to complement and/or enrich existing research strengths and expertise to develop modern research-led teaching practices.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for an Lecturer in Microbiology (Education Focused) who has:
- a PhD in Microbiology
- demonstrated track record in teaching microbiology, including lectures, tutorials and laboratory-based practical classes
- experience of PC2 Work, Health and Safety regulations and management
- excellent time management and demonstrated written and oral communication skills,
- the ability to work independently as well as being an enthusiastic and successful team leader
- aspiration for an education-focussed career and potential to develop in leadership roles
- deep and broad experience in teaching and learning in a tertiary environment, as evidenced by participation in team teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings
- demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders
- experience in working with others and/or coordinating team activities
- proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly activities in the domains of both education and microbiological research, to inform innovative pedagogical practice
- demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate an audience using a range of media.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights forAustralia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supportingdocumentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account andnavigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
©The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Thursday 18 August 2022 11:59 PM