Professor / Reader in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
Salary: £63,668 to £101,366
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Tuesday 02 August 2022
The University of Surrey is a global university renowned for the outstanding quality and impact of its graduates and research, together making great contributions to society. We are looking to recruit an exceptional candidate as a reader or professor who will join the Department of Computer Science.
The Department which sits within a new School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering has three strands of research; AI/machine learning (ML), cyber security and distributed/networked systems. The appointed candidate will be an enthusiastic and generous team player with high levels of integrity, a collaborative attitude and desire to integrate within the Department’s NICE AI/ML activity group and bring their expertise to the benefit of the other team members. There is also the opportunity to affiliate to the University Institute in People-Centred AI.
This post is to provide research leadership within the Department’s AI and ML activity, in any of the following areas including (but not limited to) the following: Trustworthy AI (explainable, secure and privacy preserving machine learning); deep learning for natural language processing; computational neuroscience and machine learning; distributed machine learning and optimisation; AI planning and optimal control.
- Sustaining an extensive track record of published research findings.
- Planning, co-ordinating and managing a significant programme of research in accordance with a specific project plan through a research team or a group of staff involved in research. Managing the financial and physical resources associated with the research activities. Supervising and guiding the work of staff and research and doctoral students on own specialist area.
- Leading innovative research proposals and submitting collaborative funding bids, winning support for them and planning the research to be taken, as a self-contained item or as part of a broader programme.
- Taking a central role in teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level; planning, delivering and critically reviewing a range of teaching and assessment activities including lectures in own area of subject specialism, and providing appropriate feedback to students.
- Engaging in external academic activities in accordance with the Faculty’s research strategy at a national level and international level.
Essential Skills Required
- World class research performance including an exceptional and continuing publication record. A track record in securing external research grant income generation.
- Evidence of scholarly contributions to conferences and societies at an international level and other external activities.
- A proven track record in academic leadership.
- Evidence of delivering high-quality, inspirational teaching at undergraduate and continuous improvement of modules/units.
- Supervision of Doctoral level students to completion.
- A higher research degree, normally a doctoral degree or equivalent
We offer a generous pension, relocation assistance, flexible working options including job share and blended home/campus working (dependent on work duties)
The University of Surrey is committed to providing an inclusive environment that offers equal opportunities for all. We particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups and people with disabilities.
How to apply
With your application, please attach a full CV with a ‘supporting statement’ evidencing how you meet the essential criteria (maximum 2 sides of A4). We encourage applications from UK as well as non-UK nationals.
For further information about this unique and exciting opportunity, please email Head of Department Prof. Steve Schneider (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Head of the NICE group Prof. Ferrante Neri (email@example.com).
Closing date:: 23:59 Tuesday 2nd August 2022.
Interview (Guildford) 2nd September 2022.
Further details: Job Description
For more information and to apply online, please download the further details and click on the 'apply online' button above.
In return we offer a generous pension, relocation assistance where appropriate, flexible working options including job share and blended home/campus working locations (dependent on work duties), access to world-class leisure facilities on campus, a range of travel schemes and supportive family friendly benefits including an excellent on-site nursery.
The University of Surrey is committed to providing an inclusive environment that offers equal opportunities for all. We place great value on diversity and are seeking to increase the diversity within our community. Therefore we particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups and people with disabilities.