Senior Quality Assurance Officer
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated professional with experience in Quality Assurance, to join the Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing, Midwifery and Palliative Care (NMPC), King’s College London. The Senior Quality Assurance Officer will provide comprehensive quality assurance administration across policy, regulatory, and governances frameworks and safeguarding standards for professional programmes within the Faculty. They will work to support the Faculty Quality Assurance Manager in coordinating quality systems, processes and procedures to ensure adherence to internal and external expectations and standards.
The role holder will support activity for internal and external quality reviews (e.g. Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework), working collaboratively with a broad range of academic and administrative colleagues and stakeholders, producing timely, comprehensive documentation for all statutory returns and programme accreditation or validation events. The successful candidate will be well organised, a good communicator, and possess excellent IT skills. They will have administrative experience acquired in Higher or Further Education, with an understanding of the challenges of a busy department.
The role has oversight for processes relating to programme and module approval, modification, and module evaluation. Ensuring the integrity of data relevant to internal and external quality assurance requirements, while proactively contributing to the overall culture of commitment to excellence in learning and teaching provision. As a core member of the Faculty’s professional services team, the post holder will be be part of a diverse, high performing, inclusive team, that delivers an outstanding level of service and support all Faculty academic administrative processes. We take pride in promoting a culture which places students at the centre of all our activities and student support and experience at the heart of all that we do.
Why choose us
King’s College London is a leading University with nine Faculties. As part of King’s Health Partners, we have an excellent environment for health care interaction and a strong focus on mentoring and career development. The 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF2021) placed King’s applied and allied health research 1st for: overall proportion of research rated 4* (world-leading, the best mark possible), research papers rated 4*, impact rated 4*, environment rated 4*(joint), Grade Point Average and Power. REF2021 rated as world-leading: 100% of our environment, 86% of our impact and 70% of our research overall. Over 95% of our research overall was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.
For the last three years, King’s has been number 2 in the world and number 1 in Europe for Nursing (QS world rankings). King’s produces more highly cited research outputs (top 1% citations) on palliative care than any other centre internationally (SciVal).
It includes the Cicely Saunders Institute for Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation, the premier Institute for Palliative Care, bringing together clinical, research and education teams.
Our award-winning NMPC education programmes span pre-registration nursing and midwifery, and multidisciplinary post-graduate taught and research programmes. King’s is the largest provider of health care education in Europe. Our applied clinical and health research transforms therapies, the healthcare experience and outcomes for patients and those important to them, wherever they are cared for.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work as part of KCL's hybrid working model where you can work between your home and the office throughout the week.
We are committed to continually improving the diversity of our workforce, and therefore we encourage applications from all groups. This includes from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic groups, the LGBTQI+ community, those who are neurodiverse and those with a disability
King’s considers the professional and personal development of our staff a priority and we offer an inspiring range of opportunities for training and promotion. Our Organisational Development team provide in-house and bespoke learning.
This post will be offered on an indefinite contract
This is a full-time post
- Work collaboratively and build effective networks with a large range of stakeholders, including Module Leads, Programme Leads, Cohort Leads, and the Directors of Excellence in Learning and Teaching. They will also work closely with other professional services areas within the university, such as Analytics, and Academic Regulations, Quality and Standards
- Support academic programme leads in ensuring all collaborative agreements, partnership contracts, memorandum of understanding (MoU) and service level agreements (SLA) for professional programmes are completed following relevant approval processes, and reapproved appropriately
- Responsible for the proactive organisation of operational planning across the programme cycle and relevant quality assurance frameworks; ensuring the timely coordination of meetings, audits, partner/site visits, and the production of reports and statutory returns
- Ensure that: 1) programme procedures adhere to both internal and external standards. 2) quality routines effectively meet university and programme governance requirements, as well as external compliance with professional, statutory and regulatory bodies (PSRB) such as the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council)
- Ensure information and data is comprehensively and clearly collated within required timeframes. Determine internal submission deadlines in order that programmes meet any external deadlines
- Support coordination of module and programme evaluation, working across and joining up the range of information across placement surveys, module evaluation and student feedback. Work with the Student Experience Team, and Programmes Teams to respond to quality concerns or issues, identifying risk and escalating where necessary
- Responsible for drafting curriculum, quality, policy and procedural guidance, across varying media including the virtual learning environment (Keats) and the web. Ensure that programme information remains up to date and accurate, with changes routinely communicated across all collaborative provision and partners providers in good time
- Provide servicing duties, as required, to governance committees. This includes organising meetings, room bookings, production of agenda and distribution of papers, following up on actions through to resolution and ensuring information is available to enable effective decision making by the members
- Be fully conversant with and maintain up to date knowledge of programme structures and programme and College regulations. Ensuring comprehensive understanding of relevant quality assurance frameworks (e.g. QAA) and the specific requirements and guidance of the NMC, to be able to be able to provide informed, credible advice and guidance
- Ensure that all departmental enquiries are handled promptly and followed through to a complete and timely resolution. Be proactive in identifying and escalating areas of risk to student experience or the university’s reputation as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with all academic and professional services colleagues to deliver a highly coordinated approach across the Faculty. Ensure that quality issues with placement allocations and providers are resolved promptly and that students experiencing challenges are escalated where necessary. Attend Student Staff Liaison Committees, or other committee meetings as needed
- Ensure all work is carried out in professional and timely manner, with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity. The role is expected to maintain up to date knowledge of General Data Protection Regulation and Freedom of Information requirements
- Contribute to administrative process review, recognising the value of continuous improvement and the redesign of process to enhance the student experience and improve quality assurance
- Communicate electronically and verbally as per agreed standards with other staff in the Nightingale Student Hub, academic staff, other administrative staff, students and external trusts to ensure information is disseminated in an effective and timely manner
- Work flexibly as part of a team, supporting others in times of high-volume activity, providing cover and supporting the training and development of new staff members.
- Take responsibility for own performance and development, through agreeing clear performance objectives, maintaining up-to-date knowledge and reflecting on own performance
- Take personal accountability for the data quality of student records, ensuring records are accurately maintained in accordance with the agreed retention schedules
- Ensure all work is carried out in a professional and timely manner, with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity. Maintain an up to date knowledge of the data protection requirements and to support Freedom of information and subject access requests
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Degree or equivalent
- Relevant work experience and/or education: We think a wide range of different work and educational experiences could support you to be successful in this role. Relevant work experience might include work in higher education administration, systems support or working in support of a compliance framework (specifically QAA Quality Code).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; demonstrable ability to present information clearly, accurately and concisely to diverse audiences
- Excellent time management with the ability to organise, and plan effectively across competing priorities
- Ability to make timely informed decisions and independently resolve problems
- Evidence of experience of reviewing and producing policy or procedural documentation
- Evidence of capability to interpret and apply university and programme regulations maintaining up to date knowledge of external statutory compliance obligations
- Experienced and comfortable using Microsoft Office suite, Teams and SharePoint, with the ability to learn and develop an in-depth knowledge of in-house systems and sector specific software.
- Experience of programme governance and delivering professional committee servicing
- Interest in higher education and knowledge of new developments in the quality assurance framework
- Experience of programme development and approval process and/or module evaluation