Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for AMSPARE
School of Health & Life Sciences
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow for AMSPARE (geochemistry environmental microbiology)
Salary: AC2: £36,914
Full time – 35 hours per week, fixed term – 18 months
THE POST – Post Doctoral Research Fellow for AMSPARE
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of the West of Scotland working the research group led by Professor Fiona Henriquez. This position will support the aims of the interdisciplinary NERC-funded project, part of the India-UK antimicrobial resistance initiative: ‘Advanced Metagenomics, Sensors and Photocatalysis for Antimicrobial Resistance Elimination (AMSPARE)’. You will join a dedicated team who strive to continuously inspire our students and wider University community – and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- It is essential that you hold a PhD/DPhil (or be close to completion) in chemistry or related field or environmental microbiology.
- It is desirable that you have knowledge of eukaryotic microbiology.
- You will have strong research experience chemical analysis, in the chemical analysis of environmental pollutants, particularly metals and organic compounds using advanced analytical techniques (e.g. ICP-AES/MS, GC-MS) at environmentally relevant concentrations.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a growing health concern with a wealth of research being undertaken globally. The aim of the project is to explore and understand the impact of various geochemical and microbiological parameters on the prevalence of AMR. The successful candidate will be responsible for the analysis of complex geochemical systems to understand how anthropogenic pollutants impact, microbial ecology and how they survive and adapt to harsh environments. This includes analysis of industrial waste and aqueous waste streams (including sedimentary samples). The candidate is also expected to participate in microbial species isolation, including key eukaryotes of interest from different sample matrices.
UWS was named Higher Educational Institution of the Year in The Herald Higher Education Awards 2022 and is officially ranked by Times Higher Education in the top 600 universities worldwide (2022 World University Rankings) as well as in the top 150 universities worldwide under 50 years old (2022 Young University Rankings). University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Health & Life Sciences at UWS offers innovative teaching and research opportunities, firmly focused on the real-world challenges facing the healthcare and life sciences sectors. You will join a supportive and committed team, where you will play a key role in continuing to establish the University as a force for good. Our students benefit from studying in modern learning facilities – among the very best in the country – and the strong links we have with partner organisations across the private, public and third sectors. Find out more about our School of Health & Life Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Closing Date: Friday 22nd July
Interview Date: TBC
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.