Grade 1: - £18,212 per annum (pro rata)
Open-Ended/Permanent - Annualised Hours
Contracted Hours per Week: 0
Closing Date: 04-Jul-2022, 6:59:00 AM
The Department and role purpose
The Colleges Operations Directorate forms part of the Colleges and Student Experience Division, which is responsible for providing a world class student experience to our diverse student community.
The Colleges Operations Directorate plays an integral role in providing excellent services and facilities to support the personal development of students. The services provided by the Directorate include catering, housekeeping, reception, security and maintenance, as well as providing systems for the management of health and safety, and food safety.
The University is embarking on an ambitious programme of retail catering developments to support our growing student population. This includes college dining halls, college bars, college cafés, visitor attractions and branded retail catering outlets. Our students are extremely important to us but we also provide catering to University colleagues, commercial guests, and VIPs including royalty.
Catering team members are responsible for providing a professional, responsive and efficient customer-facing catering service to students, staff and visitors, ensuring that food service areas are presented, served, replenished and cleaned to an exceptional standard and in line with standard operating procedures.
Catering team members will be expected to adopt and promote a flexible approach to working, and to undertake any or all of the tasks outlined below regardless of their designated shift.
- As part of a team, complete a defined set of tasks or procedures to deliver a responsive service to students, staff and visitors.
- Follow instructions from a supervisor, and standard operating procedures, to ensure that food and beverage is appropriately produced, presented, served and replenished.
- As and when directed assist team members by stepping-in to provide support.
- Learn the correct methods and tasks on the job.
- Learn and adhere to general health, safety and security procedures within the service area in line with Health & Safety at Work guidelines, including departmental systems for health & safety and food safety.
- Use a range of equipment, tools and resources where necessary.
- Effectively communicate with your supervisor/line manager, team members, other staff, students and visitors in person or using electronic tools and applications.
- Assist team members to deliver a frontline student, staff and visitor catering service.
- Share menu and food product knowledge, including answering questions regarding individual allergen and dietary requirements.
- Anticipate individual needs of students, staff and visitors and proactively provide assistance where required.
- Learn how to, and use task specific manual and specialist tools to deliver services.
- Learn and complete work in accordance with risk assessments and departmental procedures for health & safety and food safety specific to the nature of the work area and environment.
- Assist other team members with the application of basic audit and stock control tasks.
- Where directed wear and use personal protective equipment and clothing to carry out tasks, including uniform.
- Accept payments and cash handling.
- Ensure that all feedback is brought to the attention of your line manager.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific role requirements:
Working in the catering team requires an element of physical manual handling, which can include lifting and transporting catering equipment.
The post holder will be required to work flexibly across all catering areas.
There are various contracts available: Any 4 days from 7
27 Week Contracts (Term Time Only)
- 20 hours a week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 22.00 Monday – Sunday
- 20 hours a week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 18.00 mainly Monday to Friday with some occasional late night and weekend working
Any 5 days from 7
52 Week Contracts
- 20 hours a week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 18.00 mainly Monday to Friday with some occasional late night and weekend working.
- 27.5 hours per week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 18.00 mainly Monday to Friday with some occasional late night and weekend working
- 30 hours per week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 22.00 Monday to Sunday
- 25 hours per week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 22.00 Monday to Sunday
35 Week Contracts (Term Time Only)
- 25 hours per week: hours will vary between 07.00 – 22.00 Monday to Sunda
Recruiting to this post
In order to be considered for interview, candidates must evidence each of the essential criteria required for the role in the person specification above (including those listed in the section ‘Realising Your Potential Approach’).
In some cases, the recruiting panel may also consider the desirable criteria, so we recommend you evidence all criteria in your application.
Please note that some criteria will only be considered at interview stage.
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online.
lease note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to submit
- A CV;
- A covering letter which details your experience, strengths and potential in the requirements set out above;
Please ensure that you submit all documentation listed above or your application cannot proceed to the next stage.
For further information please contact Deborah Richarson (email@example.com).
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work. We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities.
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system. Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails
Person specification - skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience required
- Ability to accurately follow written and oral instructions.
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Willingness to work flexibly.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Customer focused.
- Friendly, positive and courteous.
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Basic IT skills including use of Microsoft Office.
- Evidence of personal development to maintain skills.
- Experience of collaboratively working in a team.
- Level 2 Basic food safety hygiene.
- Experience of working in a customer focused service
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable.