Data Science Software Engineer
- 1 full time continuing role. 1 full time 18-month fixed term role
- Provide software engineering for projects undertaken by the Sydney Informatics Hub
- $100,032 - $108,979 + 17% Super
About the opportunity
As a Data Science Software Engineer within the Sydney Informatics Hub, you will support translational data science across all faculties in the University.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- report to a Research Engineer Group Lead within the Sydney Informatics Hub
- develop and deploy software that enables data-driven research
- solve challenging technical and analytical problems alongside data scientists, while working directly with experts from fields as diverse as accounting, genomics, and art history
- push the boundaries of researchers' imaginations about what data analysis, automation and usable interfaces to their data can do for them
- help ensure that the next generation of reproducible science is built on software engineering excellence
- learn and extend your skills on the job and have the autonomy and project diversity to do so
- tertiary education in a computational area of study, e.g. computer science or software engineering (will also consider engineering, physics, mathematics, statistics, biology etc) or equivalent experience
- proven experience coding in Python (using packages like Django, Flask, pandas, scikit-learn)
- strong understanding of modern data software and tools, such as databases, web APIs, cloud or high-performance computing, containerized deployment, existing products used for data analytics, and comfort with command-line interfaces using bash or other shells
- proven experience with modern version control in git and modern software development practices such as test-driven development and continuous integration
- experience in eliciting project requirements from clients or supervisors and proposing appropriate solutions to complex problems, and communicating these effectively to clients
- ability to plan and develop complex data processing software projects and pipelines, processing data from a variety of sources and destinations, ranging from file systems to enterprise data systems
It would be advantageous (but not required) for you to have experience in any of the following:
- extracting and manipulating geospatial data
- developing and evaluating machine learning pipelines
- coding in other languages, including R for statistical analysis
- experience in modern cloud deployment tools and techniques
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For a continuing position, you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
Australian Temporary Residents currently employed at the University of Sydney may be considered for a fixed term contract for the length of their visa, depending on the requirements of the hiring area and the position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, preferably including links to a GitHub or StackOverflow account, personal blog or some other professional portfolio, any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Lee Coleman, Recruitment Operations, on 0449973799 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Saturday 16 July 2022 11:59 PM