Teaching Fellow in Maths and/or Statistics Learning Development
Salary: £33,309 to £40,927 gross per annum
Permanent position + benefits
Post Type: Full Time
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Wednesday 03 August 2022
Maths and Statistics Advice (MASA) is a dynamic maths and statistics study advisory service, operating within bespoke premises located prominently within the University of Surrey’s Library & Learning Centre (LLC). The service sits alongside, but is also part of (and works extensively with), the University’s well-established Learning Development service, Academic Skills and Development.
This is one of two full-time, ongoing posts in MASA. For the other post, see: Maths and Statistics Advice Manager (Teaching Fellow in Maths AND/OR Statistics Learning Development) https://jobs.surrey.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=12313&forced=1
The post-holder will contribute significantly to the development, enhancement and active promotion of MASA as a student-focused (and staff-supportive) service.
Key features of the role include:
- Developing students to become confident and independent learners in the handling, interpretation and utilising of maths and statistics, via drop-ins and appointments, small group-based support activities, workshops and, through collaboration with faculty staff, programme-embedded class-based activities.
- Developing extensive understanding of the application of maths and/or statistics to specific subject/programme contexts.
- Building strong collaborative working relationships with faculty colleagues, to identify and help to address issues in the design, development and delivery of maths and statistics-related learning, teaching and assessment activities; this may involve the co-design/delivery of bespoke teaching interventions in specific modules.
- Promoting and developing pedagogically-considered, effective and innovative methods in maths and/or statistics teaching, learning and assessment.
- Developing a programme of training and ongoing development for a small number of Research students to augment the activities of the core MASA staff.
- Supporting the Maths and Statistics Advice Manager in the ongoing evaluation and development of the service and its provision.
Due to the fixed format of Teaching Fellow Job Purpose forms, most of the specific information about the requirements for the role can be found in the ‘Addendum’ section of the JP.
Interviews will be held week commencing 22 August.
For informal queries about the post, please email Robert Walsha: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details: Job Description
For more information and to apply online, please download the further details and click on the 'apply online' button above.
In return we offer a generous pension, relocation assistance where appropriate, flexible working options including job share and blended home/campus working locations (dependent on work duties), access to world-class leisure facilities on campus, a range of travel schemes and supportive family friendly benefits including an excellent on-site nursery.
The University of Surrey is committed to providing an inclusive environment that offers equal opportunities for all. We place great value on diversity and are seeking to increase the diversity within our community. Therefore we particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as people from Black, Asian and minority ethnic groups and people with disabilities.