PhD Candidate in Advance Machine Learning towards Generalized Face Presentation Attack Detection
7 days left
- Full Time
About the position
This PhD project is in line with the research activities performed at the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK) and is closely linked to the Innovation Project for the Industrial Sector named “SALT - Secure privacy preserving Authentication using faciaL biometrics to proTect your identity” sponsored from Norwegian Research Council, Norway.
The objective of the project is to create the next generation face authentication services with strong presentation attack detection and privacy-preserving techniques.
The PhD candidates will have the opportunity to collaborate with researchers in this project consortia and can benefit from the research and collaborative training activities together with leading biometrics start-up Mobai AS and leading financial companies such as Vipps, BankID and SpareBank 1.
The position reports Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Conduct an individual and independent research activities addressing the focus areas mentioned above.
- Participate in the SALT research project to achieve the project objectives.
- Complete a training component as part of the PhD of a minimum of 30 ECTS.
- Participate in the general activities of the research project and Department.
- Participate in international activities such as conference attendance, contribution to technical committee meetings (like ISO), contribute to regular project meetings and deliverables and research stays at educational institutions abroad.
Required selection criteria
The qualification requirement is that you have completed a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Computer Science or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suitable for education leading to a PhD degree.
In addition, the candidate must have:
- Good programming knowledge and experience in Python, Deep learning tools (PyTorch and TensorFlow), MATLAB, Mesh lab.
- Knowledge of Applied machine learning and deep learning. Furthermore, knowledge or experience with Biometrics, face presentation attack detection, signal processing and/or computer vision in general is essential.
- Experience with either iOS/Android development is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills in written and oral English.
- Publications in biometric / biometric presentation attack detection in reputed conference (IJCB, ICB, CVPR, ICIP, ICPR, ICCV) and journals (IEEE transactions, PR, PRL, etc.) is an addended value.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Prior knowledge and documented experience in: Biometrics, presentation attack detection, face biometrics, deep learning, machine learning and statics.
- Detailed Research proposal.
- Capabilities in programming languages and frameworks (for applied machine learning etc)
- Knowledge in quantitative & qualitative research methods, experimental design, applied mathematics, statistical methods, applied machine learning and optimization.
- Enthusiasm for research, teamwork, and capability of independent problem-solving and ability to work independently.
- Good written and oral English.
- Ability to work both individually and in a (virtual) team environment and a high level of personal responsibility.
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce work of a consistently high standard.
- High motivation for research work and ability to work independently and well organized
- Eager to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences.
- Have an interest to work closely with industry partners to solve real world problems.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Information Security and Communication Technology within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
Applicants must upload the following documents within the closing date:
- A cover letter where the applicant describes his/her personal motivation and relevance with respect to the requirements of the advertisement.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) which includes information about the candidate’s prior education, work experience, academic merits, and any scientific publications.
- A draft research proposal (maximum two pages) within this field of 2D/3D Face presentation attack detection for the PhD study. The research proposal must clearly discuss the challenges, research questions and possible technical approach for the same. Applications without research proposal will not be evaluated.
- Demonstration of coding skill with a link to GITHUB.
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates. Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement, or a similar document, which describes in detail the study program and grading system.
- Transcripts of grades. Translation of the grades is required if the original is not in English.
- Names and contact information of at least two references.
- Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant’s contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
- Certificate of English proficiency exam.
Please submit your application electronically via Jobbnorge website. The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English. Applications submitted elsewhere/incomplete applications will not be considered.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact email: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Katrine Rennan, e-mail: Katrine.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2022/22061 when applying.
Application deadline: 15.08.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 15th August 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gjøvik