Research Fellow in Engineering Frontier Medical Solutions
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 3 years
Faculty: Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Salary: Level A – $77,171 – $104,717 p.a. (PhD entry Level A.6: $97,558; pro rata for part-time) plus 17% super
- Grow your career contributing to a multidisciplinary project making a positive impact on medical care
- Work at the intersection of engineering, medicine and science to develop innovative research strategies
- $77,171 – $104,717 p.a. (PhD entry Level A.6: $97,558) plus 17% super and benefits!
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wuurang people. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
The Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT) is strongly committed to supporting diversity and flexibility in the workplace. Improving the representation of women is necessary in our goal to innovate and to strengthen FEIT’s reputation as a best-in-class centre of research.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a vibrant and rapidly growing department within FEIT.
We are working on some of the most meaningful problems at the interface of engineering with life and medical sciences. The crux of this work being the application of interdisciplinary expertise and thought in order to make new discoveries and innovative solutions towards improved healthcare and social wellbeing.
About the role:
We are seeking a highly motivated researcher with a PhD in biomedical, chemical or materials engineering or a related discipline to work with collaborators across different disciplines and institutions. The Research Fellow will join the Tissue Engineering Group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Aikenhead Centre for Medical Discovery (ACMD) to contribute to an innovative research program making a positive impact on medical care. The ACMD is Australia’s first collaborative, hospital-based biomedical engineering research centre, located at St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne.
The Research Fellow will work with the Shanahan Chair in Frontier Medical Solutions at the intersection of engineering, medicine and science to develop and implement innovative research strategies. They will work in multidisciplinary teams to address clinical and industry needs, focusing in the areas of biomaterials, tissue engineering and medical implants, contributing to the delivery of clinically and commercially applicable solutions to medical challenges.
- Under the guidance and support of Senior Academic staff, conduct internationally competitive research as a member of a research team.
- Produce written and oral project reports, publications in high-quality peer reviewed journals and patents to a high academic standard, and actively participate in research seminars and conferences to as opportunities arise.
- Contribute to the preparation of research proposal submissions to internal or external funding bodies as required.
- Actively support ACMD activities to build collaborations and identify potential new research directions for the centre.
- Contribute to and assist in the co-supervision and training of research students at undergraduate, Masters and/or PhD level.
You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, seminars and through manuscript submissions. Your strong interpersonal skills enable you to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders from a range of disciplines.
You will also have:
- A PhD in biomedical, chemical, or materials engineering or a related discipline.
- A demonstrated track record of both independent and team-based research.
- Experience in working with minimal supervision, and ability to prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines.
- Skills and aptitude for experimental research in biomaterials and tissue engineering.
For specific responsibilities and selection criteria of this role please refer to the attached Position Description.
You will be supported to pursue achievement in all pillars of an academic career:
- Research & Research Training
- Contribution to Teaching and Learning
- Service and Leadership
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victorian Health Minister. All University of Melbourne employees are to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. Applicants must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-feit
Position Description: 0056381_PD Research Fellow in Frontier Medical Solutions.pdf
Applications close: TUESDAY 26 JULY 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time