Adjunct Associate Professor to Join the Sense-IT Team in the Signal Processing Group
About the position
We have a vacancy for an Adjunct Associate Professor to join the Sense-IT team in the Signal processing group at the Department of Electronic Systems. The Adjunct Associate Professor position has a full-time equivalence of 20% and has a fixed term of up to 3 years with the possibility of employment for further periods.
The position will focus on teaching, developments, innovations, and research specifically with XR technologies for Immersive Media Experiences through exploring the synergies of Art and Technology.
The Sense-IT team’s current project portfolio can be found at: http://www.iet-multimedialabs.org/our-achievements/.
The position reports to the Head of the department of Electronic Systems.
The key duties included in the position are:
- Facilitator of the department’s planned EiT (Experts in team) village on XR technologies for storytelling (expected start January 2023)
- Developing curriculum and supervision of master and PhD students within XR technologies
- Project involvement in the Sense-IT group’s project portfolio and further development of the department’s strategies within Art and Technology
Required selection criteria
The position of Adjunct Associate Professor within XR technologies requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-2.
- Your academic work must essentially be within XR technologies, Immersive media experiences, and storytelling or equivalent
- Your applications areas should clearly have a societal impact and be focused on mission-based research
- You should document an ability and interest for transdisciplinary work
- Documented background in creating virtual and mixed reality applications for Oculus, HTC, or Microsoft HoloLens, etc. and have the possibility to participate in XR projects.
In addition to formal qualifications in teaching at university level, you must document
- development in teaching and counselling of students over time
- extensive experience project participation, project management and project acquisition
You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
Preferred selection criteria
- Document extensive practice from, and a high level of knowledge of, immersive media technologies, interaction design and/ or extended reality (XR)
- Experience with interactive digital content creation tools or immersive technologies content development (e.g., XR content creation tools, methods, or practices, including storytelling tools and practices)
- Experience in transdisciplinary research with Art and technology in general and particularly from application areas with societal impact
- The applicant must document experience from immersive media technologies or design-led pedagogy and teaching
- Theoretical knowledge of interactive and immersive technologies and experiences or application oriented knowledge of the processes and effects of XR
- Good collaboration and communication skills with the ability to work in a team, both as participant and leader
- An interest in immersive and interactive media and design-education and pedagogy or professional facilitation skills and related experience
- Innovative, proactive perspective and solution-oriented approaches
- The ability to engage students, colleagues, and collaborators
- exciting and challenging tasks in a dynamic and international academic environment
- an open and inclusive working environment, with enthusiastic colleagues
- favorable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Adjunct Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 560.000 – 760.000 per year, corresponding with a 20% position, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria, which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU”
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience and personal suitability as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and undertake supervision of Masters and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA. This means that we pay special attention to the quality and professional breadth of these works. We also take into account experience from research management and participation in research projects. We place great emphasis on your scientific work from the last five years.
Your application will be considered by an expert committee and the most suitable applicants will be invited to interview and to deliver a lecture.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
For the sake of transparency, candidates will be given the expert evaluation of their own and other candidates. As an applicant you are considered part of the process and is stipulated to rules of confidentiality.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Andrew Perkis, e-mail: email@example.com or Thomas Tybell, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR at the faculty, e-mail: email@example.com
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 14.08.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Electronic Systems
The digitalization of Norway is impossible without electronic systems. We are Norway’s leading academic environment in this field, and contribute with our expertise in areas ranging from nanoelectronics, phototonics, signal processing, radio technology and acoustics to satellite technology and autonomous systems. Knowledge of electronic systems is also vital for addressing important challenges in transport, energy, the environment, and health. The Department of Electronic Systems is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 14th August 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Duration Fixed Term
Place of service Campus Gløshaugen