Research Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
Role type: Part time; Fixed-term for 2 years
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Department of Medicine, St Vincent's
Salary: Level B – $107,547 – $127,707 p.a.(pro-rata) plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About - Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences has an enviable research record and is the University of Melbourne’s largest faculty in terms of management of financial resources, employment of academic and professional staff, teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate (including research higher degree) students and the conduct of basic and applied research.
About the Role
This Research Fellow role represents an outstanding opportunity for a clinician-researcher to deepen their expertise in the management of obesity and its complications within an internationally-renowned research group. The role provides an excellent platform for an active clinician-researcher to develop their academic career, and make distinctive contributions to research, education and engagement activities, primarily related to the treatment of obesity, within the context of their primary specialty. Located at St Vincent’s Hospital, Fitzroy, in the Department of Medicine, you will report to the group leader of the Obesity Research Group.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Lead impactful research initiatives aligned with the group’s research priorities
- Establish and build cross-disciplinary research collaborations within and beyond the University
- Provide leadership and supervision of clinical trial activities
- Communicate with media or other clinicians about science
You are driven by curiosity, compassion, and scientific rigor. You have initiative, excellent written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills. You have an ability to effectively supervise and inspire students.
Ideally, you will further have:
- A medical degree recognised in Australia
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians or General Practitioners
- A research higher degree (PhD or DMedSci) in a relevant field
- A record of peer-reviewed publications showing excellence in research
- Demonstrated ability to attract research funding
- Experience in designing and conducting clinical research
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victoria Health Minister. The University of Melbourne requires all University of Melbourne employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. All applicants therefore must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
Position Description: 0056340_Research Fellow_PD.pdf
Applications close: 12 JULY 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time