Postdoctoral / Research Fellow, Research School of Physics
Classification: Academic Level A/B
Salary package: $76,271 - $117,736 per annum plus 17% Superannuation
Term: Fixed Term, Full-time appointment for 3 years
- Excellent employer superannuation contributions
- On campus childcare facilities
- Support network and mentoring program for early career academics
The Research School of Physics (RSPhys) represents Australia's largest university based research and teaching activity in the physics discipline.
The underlying impetus of our research is a belief in the fundamental importance of physics to all of science and technology and the key role physics must play in addressing the challenges facing the modern world. For example, in addressing climate change, we must better understand the physics of the atmosphere and develop new clean sources of energy. In medicine, further development of new procedures, such as positron therapy for cancer treatment, will not be possible without advancing the basic physics that underlies them. The communications revolution that is changing the world is driven by physics, and if progress is to continue, research must harness advances in electronic materials, lasers and optoelectronic devices. There is no better place to study and research physics than the Research School of Physics at The Australian National University.
The School is home to the Department of Quantum Science and Technology (DQST), which conducts fundamental and applied research in ultra-cold quantum gases, quantum optics, atomic physics, and quantum computing.
Based in the Atomlaser and Quantum Sensors Group within DQST, the Postdoctoral/Research Fellow will work closely with Professor John Close on the experimental implementation of a scheme to produce spin-squeezing on the existing Bose-Einstein condensation (BEC) and atom interferometry apparatus. This experiment will take place on the existing ANU BEC atom interferometry experiment and uses a modification of the standard Mach-Zehnder scheme.
The Postdoctoral/Research Fellow will also interact closely with theoretical physicists Dr. Simon Haine and Professor Joe Hope, and our research collaborators Professor Mathew Davis, Dr Stuart Szigeti, and Dr. Sebastian Wuster.
To excel in this role you will have:
- A PhD (or awarding of a PhD within six months of appointment commencement) in a relevant area of experimental physics
- A demonstrated track record of working with laser-cooled atoms and Bose- Einstein condensates (BEC).
- Ability to deliver high-quality research outputs, as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at conferences.
- Achievements in the field of ultracold quantum gases in at least one of the following areas:
- Spin-squeezing or other quantum statistics experiments with ultra-cold atoms
- Laser cooling and BEC formation
- Atom interferometry
- Efficient atom-number detection
- Ability to supervise high quality PhD/Masters research students and research support staff.
The Australian National University is a world-leading institution and provides a range of lifestyle, financial and non-financial rewards and programs to support staff in maintaining a healthy work/life balance whilst encouraging success in reaching their full career potential. For more information, please click here.
For more information about the position please contact Dr Simon Haine on T: +61 474964745 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANU Values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. People with a disability are encouraged to apply. For more information about staff equity at ANU, click here.
In order to apply for his role, please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria, and
- A current curriculum vitae (CV).
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
Job Close: 31 July 2022