Lecturer in Biology, Environmental Management or Sustainable Development
The School of Biological Sciences together with The Institute for Global Food Security (IGFS) at Queen’s University Belfast, is currently seeking to appoint an exceptional candidate to the post of full time fixed term Lecturer in Biology, Environmental Management or Sustainable Development. This is a fixed term post for three years.
The School of Biological Sciences together with IGFS provide and facilitate a vibrant and integrated research environment, conducting globally competitive and sustainable research that addresses major challenges and develops solutions to many of the global challenges that we face today.
In the most recent Research Exercise Framework (REF2021) we are ranked No 1 in the UK for Agriculture, Food & Veterinary Sciences with 94% of research in these areas "world-leading" or "internationally excellent".
The School holds Athena SWAN Gold status, which recognises significant and sustained achievement in gender equality across higher education and research and its ongoing dedication to representation, progress and success for all.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach at postgraduate levels and support the School and Institute in providing high-quality student support in line with our teaching and learning strategy, fully utilising digital innovative platforms.
We welcome applications from individuals with a diverse academic background that can demonstrate high quality outputs, enthusiasm and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
The successful candidate must have and your CV/Cover letter (or application form) should clearly demonstrate you have:
- Honours degree in Biological Sciences, Environmental Management, Sustainable Development, or related subject.
- PhD or equivalent in Biological Sciences, Environmental Management, Sustainable Development, or a related subject.
- Recent relevant experience of lecturing/teaching commensurate with stage of career and/or assessing at University level in Biological Sciences, Environmental Management or Sustainable Development or a closely related subject.
- Experience of designing course materials and planning and organising the delivery and assessment of teaching.
- Experience of developing and delivering innovative methods of teaching and assessment.
- Evidence of using innovative teaching methods and digital platforms.
- Evidence of provision of pastoral care for students.
Please note the above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, click on the 'Candidate Information' link below.
This is a fixed term post, available for 3 years. Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays).
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Race) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/.
Informal enquiries may be directed to: Dr Jude Stephens firstname.lastname@example.org.