Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor in Liberal Arts
- Deliver high-quality teaching and learning in the Socratic tradition in the liberal arts/humanities in ACU's Western Civilisation Program
- Seeking scholars with background(s) in Classics, English and European Literature, History, Philosophy, Theology, Political Science, Art History, History of Architecture, History and Philosophy of Science
- Multiple academic opportunities at levels B-D
- Based at ACU's North Sydney campus
Ranked in the top 250 universities in the world in Arts and Humanities, Australian Catholic University (ACU) is a publicly funded Catholic university which has grown rapidly in recent years. A truly global university, ACU boasts seven campuses around Australia, more than 200 partner universities on six continents, and a campus in Rome. ACU's Catholic Mission places core activities of learning and teaching, research, and service within the context of the Catholic intellectual tradition and is committed to the pursuit of truth, dignity of the human person and the common good.
About the ACU Western Civilisation Program:
Thanks to the generous provisions of a philanthropic agreement between ACU and the Ramsay Centre, the University began offering a Bachelor of Arts (Western Civilisation) degree in March 2021. Thirty ACU Ramsay Scholarships (worth $30,000 p.a.) are available to outstanding students each year. Honours and Masters' programs are currently under development. The BA program is centred in a 'great books' approach to the study of western civilisation and delivers high-quality student learning experiences. It fosters creativity and intellectual fearlessness, offering a safe space for the free play of ideas while encouraging critical and comparative perspectives. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to explore with students the past, present and future of western intellectual life and culture, delving into some of the key literary, philosophical, artistic, religious, political, and scientific works that have shaped the western tradition from antiquity to the present.
Opportunities on offer:
ACU is seeking outstanding scholars with a passion for the liberal arts and experience in the delivery of high-quality, small class teaching in core disciplines of the humanities. Opportunities exist for academic staff at various career stages.
Successful candidates will need to demonstrate:
- a doctorate (PhD or equivalent) in one or more of the key areas represented within the Western Civilisation Program.
- track record of high-quality academic teaching in the liberal arts, with strong understanding of and/or experience with the Socratic method.
- potential to contribute to curriculum development in core areas of a Bachelor of Arts (Western Civilisation), Honours program and/or Masters' program.
- a strong research profile in a relevant discipline with a high-quality publication record commensurate with career stage.
- ability to work within a mission-based organisation and act in alignment with ACU's Mission, Vision and Values.
This position will offer successful candidates the opportunity to be part of a dynamic and passionate team delivering a distinctive and impactful liberal arts program fit for the needs of the 21st century, highly consistent with the ACU Mission, Vision and Values.
How to Apply:
If you are ready for an exciting new challenge with a leading university that can offer ongoing career development and opportunities, we welcome your application.
Obtain the Position Description from the website. Applicants are expected to address all selection criteria listed in the position description and outline how they would support the mission of the university. To apply for this role click the 'View Position Description and Apply' buttons above or below.
Visit Hints and Tips on how to apply.
Total remuneration valued to $123,584 - $145,913 total rem (pro rata) pa, including salary component $104,430 - $123,298 (pro rata) pa (Academic Level B) OR $154,846 - $168,247 total rem (pro rata) pa, including salary component $130,847 - $142,171 (pro rata) pa (Academic Level C), OR $175,696 - $193,558 (pro rata) pa, including salary component $148,465 - $163,559 (pro rata) pa (Academic Level D), employer contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading. The level of appointment will be determined based on the level of experience, skills and capability of the successful candidates.
For appointed academics currently based overseas, ACU will provide support for relocation expenses and visa sponsorship.
If you wish to discuss these positions in confidence, please contact the Program Director, Professor Robert Carver at: email@example.com
Equal Opportunity and Privacy of personal information is University policy. For more details visit: www.acu.edu.au/careers
Find out more information on the benefits of working at ACU at: www.acu.edu.au/about-acu/careers-at-acu/why-work-at-acu
ACU is committed to diversity and social inclusion in its employment practices. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities and people from culturally diverse groups are encouraged.
Applications close: Sunday 24 July 2022 at 11:59 pm AUS Eastern Standard Time