PhD Positions within the Field of Solid-State Batteries
About the position
Two PhD positions are available at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
The available positions is affiliated with the Functional Materials and Materials Chemistry research group (FACET), Department of Materials Science and Engineering, NTNU Norwegian University for Science and Technology.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions.
Research activities in the department cover functional materials and materials chemistry, nanomaterials, ceramics, electrochemical energy technology, corrosion, physical metallurgy, and metallurgical and electrochemical process engineering.
You will report to Assoc. Professor Dr. Daniel Rettenwander
Duties of the position
We are seeking highly motivated PhD candidates to join our team working on solid-state lithium batteries in the frame of the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Solid-state batteries. The research will involve the preparation and processing of battery materials as well as their integration in devices, testing, and characterization using a wide variety of advanced characterization tools.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in materials science, materials chemistry, solid-state chemistry, or solid-state physics.
- good background in the synthesis and characterization of ceramics and/or polymers
- familiar with materials characterization techniques such as XRD, SEM, impedance spectroscopy.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Only candidates who obtained degrees in 2021 and later are eligible.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program
- good written and oral English language and communication skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- experience in Li metal battery assembling and characterization is an advantage.
- Publication activities in the aforementioned disciplines will be considered an advantage but is not a requirement.
- Knowledge of a Scandinavian language is considered as a plus.
- Challenges the status quo and promotes new initiatives
- Good at anticipating problems and identifying logical solutions as well as contradictions and inconsistencies
- Acquires new knowledge quickly
- Ability to use existing knowledge in new ways
- Good communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with other scientists in the research group.
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Materials Science and Engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
Starting date: 01.10.2022
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees
- Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Daniel Rettenwander, email: email@example.com.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
Application deadline: 28.07.2022
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
We are Norway's leading educational and research environment in materials engineering, materials chemistry and materials science. In collaboration with business and industry, we are a driving force for the development of innovative materials as well as new applications and manufacturing processes. Activities in our disciplines are vital for the green shift. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Deadline 28th July 2022
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Scope Fulltime (2 jobs)
Duration Fixed Term
Place of service