Lecturer, Faculty of Science: Department of Geology
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
The Department of Geology is an academic unit within the Faculty of Science. The Department of Geology is one of the premier Earth Science departments in South Africa, and indeed, the African continent. The department is centrally located with respect to the mineral and mining industry in southern Africa, with which it has close ties. The department is host to the DSI-NRF centre of excellence in mineral and energy resource analysis (CIMERA), a national hub of research and world-class analytical facilities. Our staff members have a diverse background, with excellent national and international reputations. The core functions of the department are teaching, training and research. The department is situated on the APK Campus in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, and the majority of instruction takes place here, while several courses are offered to Engineering students on the DFC campus (Doornfontein).
The department wants to fill a vacancy at the level of lecturer within the broad area of geology, mineralogy and geometallurgy; this position is based at DFC. The demonstrated potential ability to contribute towards the research within CIMERA will be considered a benefit.
The successful candidate must:
- Be able to lecture and teach large groups at undergraduate level.
- Be able to prepare and deliver undergraduate practical laboratory sessions.
- Be able to design, execute and evaluate assessments.
- Be prepared to travel between campuses should the need to arise.
- Undertake research, and present and publish the results.
- Supervise postgraduate students.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and productive research and play a leading role in teaching innovation.
- Execute general academic and administrative duties which are required within the Department of Geology or the Faculty of Science.
- Be actively involved and perform any other tasks or activities which fall within the general functioning of the department, assistance in general equipment and facilities operations.
- Must be actively involved in core activities of the department such as academic administration, research, shortcourse development, marketing, and community projects.
- For the position an MSc in Geology or related field is required.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills in English.
- Competent to lecture geology to undergraduate students
- Computer literacy skills.
- Published scientific article(s) in accredited subject-related journal(s).
- Strong commitment to good teaching and research
- Preferably a PhD degree or in final stages of submission.
- Experience in working with student assistants, laboratory demonstrators and tutors.
- Experience in administrative and laboratory organization.
- Experience in handling large classes.
- Experience in Blackboard (or related E-teaching platform) and blended learning.
- Postgraduate supervisory and teaching experience.
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- Experience in theoretical and practical teaching at undergraduate level.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills in English.
- Excellent computer literacy skills.
- Strong interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to function under pressure.
- Good planning and organizational skills
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof Marlina Elburg on (011) 559-4708
Enquiries regarding remuneration and benefits: Marian Myburgh on (011) 559-3892 (HCM Business Partner)
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.
In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.