Allan J Myers Lecturer in Classics, Latin Language and Literature
Role type: Full time/Continuing
Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Salary: Level B – $107,547 – $127,707 p.a. plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and strongly encourages people with diverse experiences to apply. This includes First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, Deaf and hard of hearing people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+, and neurodiverse people. If you have any accessibility requirements for the application or interview, please contact us. We are dedicated to ensuring barrier-free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. A position description is available in alternate formats if required, including USB, Large Print and Plain English
The Faculty actively seeks to welcome and value the unique contributions of people from all backgrounds and is committed to diversity and inclusion practices to achieve our vision.
About the Role
The successful applicant will be responsible for teaching to a high standard at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The person will be expected to teach subjects in Latin , as well as general subjects in Ancient World Studies taught in English such as "Classical Mythology" and contribute to and develop other subjects as appropriate.
Responsibilities will include:
- Preparation and delivery of lectures, tutorials and seminars
- Subject coordination, including the supervision of sessional tutors and maintenance of subject web pages
- Curriculum design and innovation, including cross-disciplinary approaches or technology-based teaching
- Publications, including (but not limited to) peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters and books
- Participation in the research activities of the discipline
You are a confident communicator with an ability to build and maintain relationships with both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and work collaboratively within a team. You are highly organised with excellent time management skills, and can simultaneously work on multiple tasks independently and be flexible and responsive to changing priorities.
Ideally, you will further have:
- A PhD in Classics or related discipline
- A strong record in research with a developing publication profile in the area of Latin language and literature.
- A demonstrated capacity and experience in teaching at the tertiary level, with a passion for undergraduate teaching and supervision of 4th-year and RHD supervision in Latin language and literature, and Ancient World Studies in general.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia's immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victoria Health Minister. The University of Melbourne requires all University of Melbourne employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. All applicants therefore must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
Position description: 0056190_Allan J Myers Lecturer in Classics (Latin Language and Literature PD .pdf
Applications close: 25th July 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time