Assistant / Associate / Full Professor in the Fields of Infectious Diseases
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology:
Faculty Positions: Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering Division (faculty)
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) has launched a Smart Health Initiative (SHI) to become a leading institution for development and usage of smart-health technologies and knowledge creation aimed at promoting innovation, entrepreneurship and training programs that will transform health care system in Saudi Arabia and beyond from traditional medicine to precision medicine. One of the key elements to achieve this objective is to build world-class research capability to tackle various technological and scientific challenges related to precision medicine and its implementation in different clinical practices. In this regard, KAUST-SHI is seeking applications from outstanding candidates to fill faculty positions at Assistant, Associate and Full Professor levels in its Infectious Diseases program in collaboration with other divisions of KAUST such as Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE). The selected candidates will utilize new generation technologies to address relevant basic science and/or clinical relavant questions in all area related to infectious and communicable diseases, with a particular emphasis on the following areas:
- Anti-Microbial Resistance: We are seeking candidates with expertise in the use of computational and bioinformatic tools and methods to explore the mechanisms behind the development of resistance to microbes, such as bacteria, and determine the impact of the host genome and environment on this process.
- Microbiome: We are seeking candidates who will study the role of microbiota in human health and disease with an aim to identify novel microbiome-based diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to control various diseases prevalent in Saudi Arabia, the region, and the world. Expertise in the development of novel means to test microbes and microbial products in human will be regarded favorably. Experience with studies of microbiota in relation to nutrition, mechanisms underlying infection and disease transmission and maintenance of symbiotic microbial communities as well as identification of functional components of virome and microbiome altering physiology and disease states will be an asset.
- Development of vaccines and diagnostic tools: In this area, we are seeking applications from candidates with experience in studies on molecular mechanisms underlying pathogenicity of recurrent and newly emerging viruses and bacteria affecting population health in Saudi Arabia and beyond. Candidates with experience in the use of multidisciplinary approaches combining basic research tools and methods such as big data analysis with OMICS, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) to understand, predict and control the clinical manifestation of diseases will be highly regarded. In addition, experience in the identification and determination of novel factors in viral/bacterial infectivity/transmission to be used as potential biomarkers for diagnostic and therapeutic development to combat infectious diseases will be regarded as a plus.
- Epidemiology: Epidemiology, both qualitative and quantitative, plays an important role in establishing cause-effect relationship in infectious and other diseases in a population. The emergence of molecular epidemiology as a unique field now enables the use of various disease markers to screen populations for genetic, microbial, and environmental disorders and predict disease incidence. In this context, we are seeking applications from qualified Epidemiologists with expertise in Infectious diseases. Candidates with competence in statistical analysis of disease incidence and transmission using mathematical and computational modeling methods and tools will be needed to fill the positions. Expertise in combining methodological and modeling approaches, cohort studies and field work that involves data and biospecimen collection and advanced quantitative data analysis is desirable. While a focus on any disease is not required for this position candidates with interests in tackling emerging problems with Dengue, corona viruses, influenza and malaria are encouraged to apply.
Basic qualifications for the positions at all levels are PhD and 2-3 years of postdoctoral training in relevant fields/subareas. Candidates applying for Assistant Professor Positions should demonstrate an excellent potential for conducting high impact research and developing a teaching program. Those applying for Associate or Full Professor positions should have a distinguished track record of research and publications in top-tier venues of their respective areas, and a strong commitment to services, mentoring and teaching at graduate level as well as fostering interdisciplinary collaborative research at KAUST.
The positions will remain open until filled. The applications will be rigorously reviewed by the Search Committee consisting of experts in the relevant fields, and only applicants who are short listed will be contacted for further consideration.
KAUST (httpps://www.kaust.edu.sa/en) located in the beautiful shores of the Red Sea in Thuwal (80km North of Jeddah) in Saudi Arabia, is an international graduate level research University dedicated to advancing Science and Technology and economic and health challenges through its highly funded bold and collaborative research of regional and global significance. The KAUST-SHI recruited faculty may be cross appointed at the Division of Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE); see https//bese.kaust.edu.sa. Information about KAUST SHI can be found at https://smarthealth.kaust.edu.sa. KAUST offers a unique combination of an intellectually stimulating environment and an access to world-class laboratories, instrumentation, and a generous funding scheme. The facilities include state of the art core facilities in Genomics, Proteomics, Imaging and Characterization,Extreme Computing and Informatics, and animal facility. The positions come with an internationally (highly) competitive salary, attractive benefits, and start-up packages for top-notch applicants. Applicants at all ranks will be considered to recruit excellent candidates without demographic or gender preference. Female candidates and junior researchers are particularly encouraged to apply. The applications will be rigorously reviewed by the Search Committee consisting of experts in the relevant fields, and only applicants who are short listed will be contacted for further consideration.
To prevent any delays in reviewing your application, you will need to upload the following materials:
- A cover letter introducing your candidacy and explicitly stating both the position and the rank. The rank must be consistent with the candidate’s experience.
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae including full publication list.
- Statement of research interests (5 pages maximum).
- Statement of teaching interests (2 pages maximum) including teaching philosophy and an outline of 1-2 graduate planned graduate teaching course(s).
- Names and contact information for at least 4 references. Referees should have positions in academic or industrial research laboratories. In the case of Associate and Full Professor applications, the referees should be of a rank higher or equivalent to that of the candidate.
- Copies of most relevant publications (Maximum of five).