Postdoctoral / Research Fellow, ANU Research School of Earth Sciences
Classification: Academic Level A/ Level B
Salary package: $76,271 - $117,736 per annum, plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full-time, Continuing Contingent Funded until December 2025
- Work with Australia’s leading network of Antarctic scientists
- Excellent employer superannuation contributions
- Flexible work arrangements and on campus childcare facilities
- Support network and mentoring program for early career academics
The ANU Research School of Earth Sciences (RSES) is Australia’s leading academic research institution for Earth sciences. We take a broad view in addressing the big challenges of Earth sciences, seeking to answer questions ranging from the origins of the Earth, to understanding climate change. We have a reputation for international leadership and innovation, focused on developing new methods, whether experimental, analytical, or computational.
Our cutting-edge research is led by our academic staff and provides an unparalleled environment for high-quality research training of our graduate students. Our people and facilities are also the foundation for our vision to deliver world-class research-led undergraduate teaching in the Earth sciences.
This position is fully funded by the ARC Australian Centre for Excellence in Antarctic Science (ACEAS), which is a major $25M Special Research Initiative of the Australian Research Council. The goal of ACEAS is to help the world community prepare for climate risks emerging from East Antarctica and the Southern Ocean by integrating knowledge of the ocean, atmosphere, cryosphere and ecosystems, and their interplay. ACEAS is a national-scale, University-led centre for excellence in Antarctic science focused on this goal. ACEAS is led by the University of Tasmania with a range of Australian and International Partners. The Australian National University is excited to be one of the partners in ACEAS.
We seek applications from motivated and creative scientists for a position in Ocean Modelling. The role will include running and analysing high resolution ocean model simulations to examine mechanisms for warming of Antarctic continental shelf waters and (depending upon interest) may also involve contributing to the development of new ultra-high resolution regional model configurations. The successful applicant will have a strong research profile in dynamical oceanography, and experience in ocean modelling.
ACEAS provides a supportive and enriching workplace for its staff and students through its strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and wellbeing initiatives. The position has an option of a fractional appointment with flexible office hours.
To excel in this role, you will have:
- A PhD (or awarding of a PhD within six months of appointment commencement for appointments at level A) in physical oceanography, climate science, or other relevant field, such as physics or mathematics.
- Significant research experience as evidenced by publications and independent research of a high international standard.
- Achievement in a research field related to ocean dynamics.
- Experience in analysing output from numerical models of the climate system, with high-level expertise in programming (e.g. Fortran, Python) and High Performance Computing.
- Ability to supervise high quality PhD/Masters research students and research support staff.
The Australian National University is a world-leading institution and provides a range of lifestyle, financial and non-financial rewards and programs to support staff in maintaining a healthy work/life balance whilst encouraging success in reaching their full career potential. For more information, please click here.
For more information about the position please contact Dr Adele Morrison. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
ANU Values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. People with a disability are encouraged to apply. For more information about staff equity at ANU, click here.
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check during the recruitment process. An offer of employment is conditional on satisfactory results.
Job Close: 24 July 2022