Research Engineer, Smart Systems Institute
Keio-NUS CUTE (Creating Unique Technologies for Everyone) Center is a multi-disciplinary research institute where some of the key areas of focus are physical embodiments and tangible devices along with Virtual Reality visualisation.
We're looking for an Electronics Engineer, with a focus in hardware R&D. You will design and fabricate electronic systems in the form of proprietary hardware and intelligent sensors, to support our Research & Development efforts in Extended Reality (XR) Training Simulation. This is a multi-disciplinary role, where you will have the unique opportunity to experience the end-to-end development of several advanced multi-sensory engagement projects. You will be required to develop both the hardware and the software interface of the product you build.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for providing innovative solutions in our efficiency and quality driven work environment. Experience in Microcontrollers is required. Candidates with knowledge of Unity have a strong advantage.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Research on new technology and utilize them to compliment haptics, sensorial and reactive feedback for Training Simulation using XR
- Develop and design systems involving high powered motors and systems to enhance the experience of the Training Simulation
- Engage in software programming (PLC), testing and commissioning of product
- Provide time and cost estimates for required R&D
- Provide continual upgrades to product within the timeframe of the project
- Provide recommendation for, and procure electrical components
- Coordinate with relevant disciplines to meet requirements and on time delivery
Qualifications and Requirement:
- Degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or relevant discipline
- At least 1 year experience as an electromechanical engineer or relevant role
- Adept in C# or C++, proficiency in Java, Python, PHP are a plus
- Well-versed in Unity, and up to date with latest Unity developments
- Skilled in Git, and its workflows
- Experience in developing software for microcontroller kits (Arduino, Raspberry Pi)
- Creative mindset, and an ability to think out of the box
- Adept in problem solving
- Able to work well in a multidisciplinary team
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our utmost priority and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require significant amount of physical interactions with student / staff / public members. Even for job roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
With effect from 15 January 2022, based on Singapore’s legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able work at the NUS premises. As such, we regret to inform that job applicants need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated for successful employment with NUS.