Research Associate / Fellow, Applied Learning Sciences and Educational Technology
The Institute for Applied Learning Sciences and Educational Technology (ALSET), in conjunction with the Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Polytechnic, will be building an AI-supported activity orchestration system designed to enhance learning during collaborative activities. The solution uses an existing codebase for the orchestration system built with the React.js framework and leverages Google's Firestore/Firebase noSQL database. The Research Engineer fellow will be instrumental in developing the AI modules, enhancing the platform and evaluating the efficacy of the solution with polytechnic and university students.
The job scope of the candidate includes:
- Managing the day-to-day progress of an AI in education research project being conducted in multiple sites
- Integrating AI modules into collaborative learning activities
- Architecting and building new system features
- Architecting and analysing activity logs
- Coordinating, guiding and monitoring junior developers and analysts
- Collaborating with NLP experts to improve activity designs
- Conduct user experiments with students remotely and in-person
This description is a summary only and only describes the general level of work to be performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- A master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Proficiency with AI techniques and user experience research methods
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in K-12 education, tertiary education, educational research
- Deep understanding of learning analytics and data science
- Understanding of React.js and creating ETLs for noSQL databases
- Understanding of dashboard design principles
- Exceptional communication skills
- Superior organization skills and dedication to completing projects in a timely manner
- Excellent proficiency with Python/R
- Graduate calibre, excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Classroom observation and classroom management (desirable)
- Rapid prototyping and iterative design principles
- NLP and sequential pattern mining techniques
- Previous experience analysing learning platforms in educational settings
- Previous experience working in an academic or research environment
- Previous experience heading learning analytics projects
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: NUS, Kent Ridge Campus
Job requisition ID: 15160