Research Fellow, Fatty Liver Disease, Department of Surgery
The National University of Singapore invites applications for Research Fellow to work on a project about drug delivery therapy for fatty liver disease in the Department of Surgery and Nanomedicine Translational Research Program, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. Department of Surgery provides clinical care to current patients in need of excellent, peer reviewed ethical management, and we lead in providing for future patients by contributing to teaching undergraduate medical students healthcare professionals and innovative research. More information on the department is available at http://medicine.nus.edu.sg/medsur/. Your appointments will be made on a 1- or 2-year contract basis in the first instance, with the possibility of extension.
Purpose of the post
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) is an emerging disease affecting 40% of our population. It is strongly associated with the increase of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. We are looking for two highly motivated Research Fellow candidates to join our programme aiming at developing new diagnostic and treatment for fatty liver disease (or cardiovascular disease). The candidate is expected to work independently in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment. The candidate will perform drug formulations, various in vitro and in vivo (small animals) experiments. Apart from own projects, the candidate may supervise junior staff and students, and provide support to the research group, as delegated by the PI. The appointment is on a 1- or 2-year contract base in the first instance with a possibility of extension. The candidate will be responsible to, and work closely with, the Principal Investigator and study team members to ensure the successful completion of the experiments on time.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate will organize and coordinate the experiments, and analyze the data, write up experiment reports as well as manuscripts for publication in time.
The candidate will be able to:
- Oversee the general management of the project;
- Work independently: conduct literature search, design and perform experiments, analyze data, prepare both progress and final reports of the project, and write up manuscripts
- Maintain the highest standard of professional conduct and record-keeping in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Provide daily supervision to junior staff or students when necessary
- Provide support to the research group as delegated by the PI.
The applicant should have:
- A PhD degree in pharmaceutics, pharmacology, chemistry, or biomedical research; preferably with experience in drug delivery, immunology and animal studies.
- An excellent publication record in nanomedicine
- Extensive experience in materials/chemistry, drug formulation and animal experiments as well as cell culture and molecular biology skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team, an investigative nature and attention to details.
- Experience in computer applications, e.g. Photoshop, Excel, MS office, PowerPoint and SPSS.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The candidate is eligible for 28 days annual leave and staff welfare including medical insurance.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences are required.
In accordance with Singapore's legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on the NUS premises with effect from 15 January 2022. As such, job applicants will need to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
Employee Referral Eligible: No
Job requisition ID: 13950