General Assistant, Food Production
Grade 1: - £18,212 per annum (pro-rata)
Open-Ended/Permanent - Part Time Term Time Only (9 Months)
Contracted Hours per Week: 35
Closing Date: 21-Jul-2022, 6:59:00 AM
Durham University Summer Recruitment Campaign. With a new Academic term upon us, we are looking for driven and passionate individuals to join our University facilities teams. We have various opportunities across our teams and colleges, please review our adverts to find out more!
The Department and role purpose
“Passionately delivering an outstanding experience”
We are a team of over 500, providing fresh and diverse catering throughout Durham University. This includes college dining halls, college bars, college cafés, visitor attractions and branded retail catering outlets.
Our students are extremely important to us but we also provide catering to University colleagues, commercial guests, and VIPs including royalty.
General Assistants are responsible for supporting a professional, responsive and efficient catering service for students, staff and visitors, ensuring that food production is presented, served, replenished to an exceptional standard and in line with standard operating procedures.
The post holder will also assist with day to day cleaning of kitchen and catering equipment, receipt and storage of goods, checking and signing for deliveries.
Catering team members will be expected to adopt and promote a flexible approach to working, and to undertake any or all of the tasks outlined below regardless of their designated shift.
Successful candidates are expected to promote a positive image of University Catering and Durham University at all times.
- “We are recruiting several permanent, full time and term time roles, where highlighted”
- Posts showing contracts with various hours of work, working a maximum of 35 hours per week unless
- Salary up to £18,212 per annum!
Please note: we are anticipating a high number of applications for this position, so it may close earlier than the stated date. Early application is therefore advised.
We have a variety of permanent and fix term contracts with varying hours such as Full Time or Part Time covering term times:
35 hrs per week
52 weeks (Full Time) x 3 Permanent
35 hrs per week
32 weeks (Term Time) x 2 Permanent
30 hrs per week
32 weeks (Term Time) x 3 Permanent
20 hrs per week
32 weeks (Term Time) x 1 Fixed Term
16 hrs per week
32 weeks (Term Time) x 2 Fixed Term
14 hrs per week
32 weeks (Term Time) x 1 Fixed Term
As part of a team, complete a defined set of tasks or procedures to deliver a responsive service to students, staff and visitors.
- May be indirect and/or a direct stakeholder-facing service.
- Follow instructions from a supervisor, and standard operating procedures, to identify what and how to deliver a limited set of tasks or processes
- As and when directed assist team members by stepping-in to provide support.
- Learn the correct methods and tasks on the job.
- Learn and adhere to general health, safety and security procedures within the service area in line with Health & Safety at Work guidelines, including departmental systems for health & safety and food safety
- Use a range of equipment, tools and resources, digital devices, software and applications where necessary.
- Communicate with supervisor, team members, other staff, students and visitors in person or using electronic tools and applications.
- Assist team members to deliver a frontline student, staff and visitor catering service.
- Share menu and food product knowledge, including answering questions regarding individual allergen and dietary requirements.
- Anticipate individual needs of students, staff and visitors and proactively provide assistance where required.
- Ensure that food is appropriately produced, presented, served and replenished.
- Maintain wash up and food production areas and equipment to an exceptional standard of cleanliness
- Learn how to, and use more task specific manual, administrative, domestic and specialist tools to deliver services.
- Learn and complete work in accordance with risk assessments specific to nature of work area and environments.
- Assist other team members with the application of basic audit and stock control tasks.
- Where directed wear and use personal protective equipment and clothing to carry out tasks, including uniform.
Ensure that all feedback is brought to the attention of your line manager
- Any other reasonable duties.
Specific role requirements:
The post holder will be required to work any 5 days out of 7, which may include some evenings and weekends. Typical working hours are between 7am and 9:30pm.
Working in the catering team requires an element of physical manual handling, which can include lifting and transporting catering equipment.
The post holder will be required to work flexibly across all catering areas.
Reward and Benefits
To support the delivery of the University's People Strategy to attract, retain and reward the very best, we offer a fantastic range of rewards and benefits to our staff, including:
- 27 days annual leave, plus 4 customary days and 8 bank holidays (pro-rata for part time) and the option to purchase additional leave;
- Automatic enrolment into a pension scheme;
- Corporate and local discounts;
- Wellbeing resources and discounted health benefits;
- Health discounts on sports and activities at Maiden Castle Health and Activity Centre;
- Reward and Recognition Schemes;
- Personal and career development;
- And SO much more, with further information available here
How to apply
We prefer to receive applications online.
Please note that in submitting your application Durham University will be processing your data. We would ask you to consider the relevant University Privacy Statement https://www.dur.ac.uk/ig/dp/privacy/pnjobapplicants/ which provides information on the collation, storing and use of data.
What you are required to submit:-
To apply please complete all details where requested. All applicants who complete the forms will be invited to an assessment. You may also want to attach a covering letter / letter of interest to support your application although not essential. We anticipate high interest in these roles therefore the advert may close before the application deadline
The assessment day(s) will take place throughout November and December 2021 and start dates will be agreed with successful candidates.
Please ensure that you submit all documentation listed above or your application cannot proceed to the next stage.
For further information please contact Richard Metcalfe or Dave Walker:
- Normal hours of work between 7am - 9.30pm
- Various hours of work available up to 35 hours per week, in line with the working time directive.
- Indicative rotas for five working days will be set four weeks in advance, confirming the week prior.
- Premium rates will be paid for working on rest days and if there is a requirement to work overtime beyond 37 hours in a given week.
- Competitive rates of pay
At Durham University, our aim is to create an open and inclusive environment where everyone can reach their full potential and believe our staff should reflect the diversity of the global community in which we work.
We welcome and encourage applications from members of groups who are under-represented in our work force including people with disabilities, women and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities. When appointing to this role the University must ensure that it meets any applicable immigration requirements, including salary thresholds which are applicable to some visas.
We will notify you on the status of your application at various points throughout the selection process, via automated emails from our e-recruitment system.
Please check your spam/junk folder periodically to ensure you receive all emails.
- Experience of basic food preparation and production.
- Positive “can do” attitude.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Willingness to work flexibly.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Customer focused.
- Ability to accurately follow written and oral instructions.
- Friendly, positive and courteous.
- Basic numeracy and literacy skills.
DBS Requirement: Not Applicable.