Manager Laboratory Facilities
Manager Lab Facilities - Office of the Provost
1. General Details
Job Code 1011253
Job Title Manager, Lab Facilities
Reporting Line Provost
Department Office of Provost
2. Job Purpose
The Manager, Lab Facilities is responsible to oversee the operation and maintenance of the Graduate and Undergraduate academic laboratories to ensure exceptional laboratory services to the faculty and students of the Colleges. Work also includes developing policies and procedures in accordance with policies and regulatory requirements and providing technical laboratory expertise. The Manager, Lab Facilities also has a dotted-line supervisory role of the Colleges laboratory staff.
3. Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of the academic departments’ strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Contribute to the development of the academic departments’ policies and procedures, in line with the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Contribute to the development and management of the academic departments’ budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
- Oversee the management of the Colleges laboratory facilities, prioritizing safety within the hazardous environment and ensuring smooth day to day running of laboratory activities;
- Confer with Department Chairs and faculty periodically to assess and acquire new laboratory equipment as per purchase priorities and budgetary allowances.
- Provide technical laboratory expertise and support to faculty by reviewing research proposals and providing recommendations on feasibility, design and pricing of the department’s research labs and related equipment;
- Coordinate and control inventory of laboratory equipment, instruments and supplies for the academic labs;
- Identify and recommend suitable vendors, and coordinate with Finance and Administration Department to procure approved equipment, ensure vendor contacts and purchase documentation files are maintained for reference or reporting, as needed;
- Oversee the operations of the academic labs in close coordination with the Lab Engineers, including planning and allocating of laboratory staff, equipment and laboratory spaces according to scheduled instructional and research projects, supervising the lab staff to ensure efficient lab services are provided to faculty, students and researchers;
- Oversee the maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments of the academic laboratories, ensures all necessary repairs are promptly carried out by appropriate service personnel;
- Develop policies and operating procedures, cleanliness and safety of laboratories and associated instruments in accordance to health and safety standards and regulatory requirements;
- Ensure laboratory instructors and laboratory users are trained for safety procedures and established standards are complied with;
- Oversee training of faculty, students and researchers in application and use of new equipment;
- Contribute to the annual budget for the labs, using historical data and projections, for the Deans’ reviews. Assists in budget administration and expense tracking
- Oversee and facilitate resources management and administration procedures and documentations under the supervision of the College Deans.
- Ensure the understanding and interpretation of the University’s policies and procedures, when needed, to ensure that the team complies on all assigned tasks.
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager.
The Manager, Lab Facilities has a dotted-line supervisor role of all academic lab staff in the Colleges:
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the academic lab staff and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Provide input to the Chairs on the performance appraisals of lab staff according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with academic lab staff to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
Bachelor’s degree in Higher Education Administration, or related field.
A minimum 12 years of relevant experience.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Primary Location : KUK – Khalifa University
Job : Manager
Schedule : Regular
Shift : Standard
Job Type: Full-time